Should I consider a 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finished the ARX procedure and now have M 1 10w30 running in the truck ('93 V6 w/ 116K). I've been reading that the 5w's are showing good wear #s and since M1 10w30 is almost a 5w and I've had no problems:
1. Should I consider a 5w for a future oil?
2. Better mpg?
3. What about going Delvac1 5w40?
4. Manual states:5w30 for 55*F or below, 10w30
for 0*F to beyond 100*F...CAFE hype?(if not, I
guess the above questions are answered).
Climate:~10 freezes per year, ~105-115*F summer (AZ).
I drive around 10-12K per year. %80 city.
The reason I threw the DV1 in there was I've read here its a very long lasting oil and cleans well. If it would go the full year, I'd just switch the filter halfway. Just a thought.
Thank you.
cheers.gif

Toy4x4

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I've finished the ARX procedure and now have M 1 10w30 running in the truck ('93 V6 w/ 116K). I've been reading that the 5w's are showing good wear #s and since M1 10w30 is almost a 5w and I've had no problems:
1. Should I consider a 5w for a future oil?
2. Better mpg?
3. What about going Delvac1 5w40?
4. Manual states:5w30 for 55*F or below, 10w30
for 0*F to beyond 100*F...CAFE hype?(if not, I
guess the above questions are answered).
Climate:~10 freezes per year, ~105-115*F summer (AZ).
I drive around 10-12K per year. %80 city.
The reason I threw the DV1 in there was I've read here its a very long lasting oil and cleans well. If it would go the full year, I'd just switch the filter halfway. Just a thought.
Thank you.
cheers.gif

Toy4x4

If you use a good, I don't see why you couldn't go the full year on just one oil filter. And I think Mobil 1 or Delvac 1 would be fine for a 1 yr/12,000 mile run. You might want to take a sample in the middle and have it tested just to see how the oil is holding up, however.

I never really understood this but can Delvac be used in a car that takes a 5w or 10w-30 oil?

In Scottsdale, I'd stay with 10w-30 mobil 1, especially for longer intervals and short trip city driving. Your climate would not in any way propmt any lower than 10w-30, especially with synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I never really understood this but can Delvac be used in a car that takes a 5w or 10w-30 oil?

Yes, it can. Delvac 1 carries the API SL service rating for use in gasoline engines. It is a "fleet oil," meaning it's not just for diesels, but can be used by "fleet" operators in gas and diesel powered vehicles. When it comes to passenger cars and light trucks with catalytic converters, HD oils like Delvac do not meet the GF-3 or "starburst" certification for gasoline engines only because the more robust additive package has more than the allowable phosphorous level.

I'm currently using Shell's Rotella T Synthetic in both my vehicles. Rotella T Syn is also a HD 5w40 oil designed for both diesel and gasoline engines. The 5w40 weight isn't really an issue in any engine where 5w30 or 10w30 is called for.

Here is a better link to the Delvac 1 spec sheet.

Within the Mobil 1 family I think you could safely use 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30. I lean towards the 0w30 because of the good pump numbers for starting a cold engine.

I don't think there's a problem using a 0wXX even in warm climates. Consider Mercedes factory fills 0w40 regardless of destination, cold or hot.

XHVI,
So the DV1 5w40, will it improve or degrade the mpg? I get 16-17 in town so I wouldn't want it to get worst for the sake of using this oil. I want it to get better, actually!
grin.gif

Toy4by4,

The Mobil 1, 0w-30 will give you the best fuel efficiency and engine performance.

I have run primarily 0w-30/5w-30 synthetic in my 1995 tacoma pickup w/ the 2/4L engine for the past seven years and it works flawlessly. Oil consumption is almost nil....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
XHVI,
So the DV1 5w40, will it improve or degrade the mpg? I get 16-17 in town so I wouldn't want it to get worst for the sake of using this oil. I want it to get better, actually!
grin.gif

In my Olds van, I've not noticed any difference in MPG with the Rotella T Syn 5w40. In fact, on my last extended run of about 400 miles on the interstate, the van got the best mileage it's ever gotten: 30.1 mpg.

I've only had the Rotella in my Chrysler for about 300 miles and that's all been around town driving so I haven't been able to evaluate how the 5w40 is going to affect MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back