should I changethe oil on a new hyundai sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new sonata ltd and its a great car! Wanted to hear if anyone else has a sonata and knows if the oil filter is impossible to get off from the factory and if I'd be better off having the dealer change it the first time. I've had some bad times getting the factory oil filters off new cars. I havent even looked to see where its located but I would guess since its a four cylender its probably on the back side between the engine and the firewall.

Also the manual says they prefer quaker state and it says that I can use 5w20, 5w30, or if above 0F I can use 10w30. I'm going to use the 5w20 the first time and I normaly use pennz yb or genuine honda oil on my other cars but I figure I'll use QS for the [censored] of it just because they reccomend it.

When should I do my first change?

Last edited:
Generally people change at 1-2k miles to get the breakin crud out. Really it's whenever you feel is long enough on the factory fill.

Use whatever 5w-20 you have, and follow your oil life monitor/owner's manual for change recommendations after that.

It really says in the owners manual that Quaker State is preferred?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It really says in the owners manual that Quaker State is preferred?
54.gif

Sure does! I thought that was funny too! It has a large QS logo in the owners manual and says that is preferred. The other thing that I thought was cool is that they tell you 87 octaine or better and that all of the testing was done with 91. They also tell you how to change every fluid and do a lot of different stuff. Like I said earlyer they tell you they prefer 5w20 but 5w30 or 10w30 is cool. I really like all the info they give, they seem to be a little more straight forward in there owners manual than say honda who says use our fluids because we said so!

People always seem to ake the info from the owners manual the wrong way. I argued in a honda forum with a guy about octane and how my honda ran better on midgrade than with regular and he told me that the manual says 87 or it will void the warenty. It took him a while to realize that 89 falls into the 87 or higher spec.

Last edited:
Hi ryland..Good Luck on the new Sonata...I have an '07 4 cyl , and love it...Hyundai has really turned the corner on quality and design...I changed out the factory fill @ 800 miles and was glad I did ...What came out was like dirty iced tea !!The filter came off with a captype wrench, and I use Hyundai filters...they seem to be high quality...I use 5-20 in coolweather, ...5-30 in summer...yb, or anything on sale, but no syn.....I drive it pretty hard, and it gets great mpg, especially on highway where it can get 35 mpg with a light foot !!...They say the 4 cyl is good for 300k....enjoy the ride...keep me posted...

I changed my factory fill on my '06 out at 2500 miles, then changed again at the 5000 mile mark, and have been changing "on the 5's" ever since. Used 5w-20 for the first 2 changes, then went to 5w-30 ever since. Use Penz platinum or YB, both seem to work fine. I have the V-6, but IIRC, the filter is on the front of the engine, near the left hand side (facing the car). Slide under, it's right there.

Originally Posted By: TCP442
Hi ryland..Good Luck on the new Sonata...I have an '07 4 cyl , and love it...Hyundai has really turned the corner on quality and design...I changed out the factory fill @ 800 miles and was glad I did ...What came out was like dirty iced tea !!The filter came off with a captype wrench, and I use Hyundai filters...they seem to be high quality...I use 5-20 in coolweather, ...5-30 in summer...yb, or anything on sale, but no syn.....I drive it pretty hard, and it gets great mpg, especially on highway where it can get 35 mpg with a light foot !!...They say the 4 cyl is good for 300k....enjoy the ride...keep me posted...

thanks for the info! I love my sonata so far its just so comfortable! I did see that the oil filters look very high quality. They even have the logo stamped inside the filter! Thats crazy attention to detail. I think I'll change a 1k but I'll see. Is the filter were I thought it would be?

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
I changed my factory fill on my '06 out at 2500 miles, then changed again at the 5000 mile mark, and have been changing "on the 5's" ever since. Used 5w-20 for the first 2 changes, then went to 5w-30 ever since. Use Penz platinum or YB, both seem to work fine. I have the V-6, but IIRC, the filter is on the front of the engine, near the left hand side (facing the car). Slide under, it's right there.

Sorry just saw your post. I'll look for the filter, thanks!

Buy the factory filter from the dealer. They are fantastic built filters. Plus there is a TSB out for Kia/Hyun about ot using their filters and that other brands may cause the valve train to experience a "rattle". We use whatever oil is on sale for our Hyundai, but always an OEM filter.

We have two 07 Sonata's. Mine is a Limited with the v6 and my wife's is GLS with the I4. With a total 45k miles between the two cars we have experienced no problems at all. I changed the FF at 3k miles on both cars and used Penz Platinum 5w-20 in my V6 and Penz Platinum 5w-30 in the I4. I use only Hyundai oem filters from the dealer. I tried the Penz Platinum 5w-20 in the I4 but the motor sounded very ragged and rough. I went to PP 5w-30 and it's now almost as smooth and quiet as my V6. I do 5k miles between changes. I remove the lower splash shield to get to the filter and drain plug, I left it on once and it was a mess.

I use 5w30 in our hyundai as well. Also in our mazda 3 too. 5w20 in both these cars makes the valve train sound ragged. No its not a placebo effect either.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
We have two 07 Sonata's. Mine is a Limited with the v6 and my wife's is GLS with the I4. With a total 45k miles between the two cars we have experienced no problems at all. I changed the FF at 3k miles on both cars and used Penz Platinum 5w-20 in my V6 and Penz Platinum 5w-30 in the I4. I use only Hyundai oem filters from the dealer. I tried the Penz Platinum 5w-20 in the I4 but the motor sounded very ragged and rough. I went to PP 5w-30 and it's now almost as smooth and quiet as my V6. I do 5k miles between changes. I remove the lower splash shield to get to the filter and drain plug, I left it on once and it was a mess.

Do you think the noise is only a problem because of the thinner synthetic? I plan on trying quaker state 5w20 just like the book says. Is QS dino 5w20 thicker than PP 5w20? I would guess that it is.

I have a '08 Sonata GL with the 4 cylinder. The filter is well located in front of the engine but access is limited due to the small hole in the splash shield to access it. Last week, I fabricated a plastic cover for that hole and secured it with cable ties after drilling holes. This to prevent road salt on the filter and around the oil pan and possibly a small aerodynamic gain. I will now remove the whole splash shield at each OCI and have full access to the filter and oil plug.

I'm currently running 0W-30 syn and a Napa Gold 1334. I've tried a Purolator PP 14476 and 5W-30 syn last year with no problem for 10000+ Km. I did the first OCI at approx 2500 miles. I never experienced any valvetrain noise with these filters and I park indoors. No noise on cold winter starts as well.

As for the Quaker State preferred oil in the Owner's Manual, it's nothing more than publicity.

Good comments on the 5W-20 being noisier. My stash is only 5W-30 and I will stay with it.

I'm getting great mileage for a large 4 and even 10% better with premium gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: wymi516

Do you think the noise is only a problem because of the thinner synthetic? I plan on trying quaker state 5w20 just like the book says. Is QS dino 5w20 thicker than PP 5w20? I would guess that it is.

No, I tried some regular Pennzoil 5w-20 in the I4 and it still didn't sound very good. I also tried some Motorcraft Semi Syn 5w-20 and it too was noisy in the I4. I was amazed the first time I started the I4 with the PP 5w-30 in the I4, it was so smooth and quiet. That's all the I4 will get from now on and my V6 loves the 5w-20 PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back