Should I change this GC or let it ride for a few more miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to service my 04 4.0L V-6 Toyota 4-Runner tommorow. (40,250 miles total on engine) Trans fluid drain and fill, PS flush and a new serpentine belt is on the list to do.

Here is my oil situation , tell me if I should change it or how much longer I could safely run it.

5100 Miles on 5.5 quarts of Green (M04) GC and 15oz of VSOT.
2500 Miles is totally highway miles from my road trip from Maryland to Missouri. I added the VSOT right before the trip. This vehicle sees a daily 10 mile commute and gets driven frequently on the weekends (its our family car). It typically only gets about 2-3 minutes to "warm up" in the mornings. I am currently running a NAPA Gold oil filter. Should I change it? Or should I run it to 7500 miles? That is my max OCI
for warranty.
I have my 32cent per quart Pennz Plat. on deck for the oil change along with a Napa GOld filter.

Please post up suggestions!

My GUESS is that you are fine to go 7500 miles, as many others are doing in similar situations. But, I don't know if you have a rich fuel situation, or are leaking antifreeze, etc. So, it's just a guess. Without any underlying engine problems, you could probably go 10000 miles on that oil.

Boaz says >
> 2-3 minutes of idle or warm up time. As in the
> engine is started but still in park.

That is harder on your motor than simply driving it mildly immediately after start-up until the oil comes up to temp.

Regards,

Rich

Boaz says >
> It typically only gets about 2-3 minutes to "warm
> up" in the mornings.

What do you mean by this?

Regards,

Rich

As posted above: "Who knows really, you need a uoa to determine that."

The problem is, its just about as cost effective to do a oil change by putting the money you would spend on the oil analysis toward the new oil change

I run a UOA on thge vehicle when i change to synthetic...obviously if a problem shows up..which occurs very infrequently judging from all the UOA's posted here....that needs fixed. Other than that, i do fairly short drain intervals on synthetic, justifying this to me (rationalizing) by NOT doing oil analysis and spending that money on fresh oil...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

Ah come on, the Elves are saddened by the lack of faith shown in this thread! Even the lesser Mobil Clean 7500 oil could do what you are asking and GC can well exceed that oil change interval in a Toyota engine. GC is a long drain oil even by European standards. Those specs on the GC bottles tell the story and are backed up by some long OCI UOAs too. Keep running it to 7500 miles!

code:

5100 Miles on 5.5 quarts of Green (M04) GC and 15oz of VSOT.

Most BITOG's use VSOT for a dose of Moly and ZDDP. Some are using Lube Control for extended OCI.

I would mix VSOT with oil at a ratio of 1oz. per quart. Resident chemist "Molakule" recommends mixing VSOT on this thread .

I'm using both VSOT (1oz. per Qt.) and Lube Control (1oz every 1k miles) with GC, along with Amsoil Ea oil filters.

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back