Should I Change the Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'92 Aerostar with 117,000 miles. Current fill is Redline 10w30. The oil was changed Oct 05 and now has 8 months and 4000 miles. I used a Maxlife Filter, oversized (FL1A size instead of spec FL400 size).

Since the oil is Redline, I am wondering if the filter may be getting clogged from the cleaning effect (not here to debate whether or not Redline actually can clean an engine). Past two OCIs were Group III synthetic. Prior to that it was Durablend or Maxlife.

Anyway, I was going to run this oil for a year, but see no reason I could not go beyond a year to 15 months or more. Has taken 2.5 quarts makeup oil since Oct 05, so there is a lot of freshening up going on and if I spin a filter, there will be about 26 oz more fresh oil.

I have the same question, but I am running the Amsoil EaO full flow filter. I am tempted to run another round of oil through the same filter.

I am on the same boat, synthetics on an engine with close to 200k and 11K on the oil. If you are going just 4 months more I would keep it on. I guess when you first start the engine you can place your palm on the filter and if it gets warm in the first 1 or 2 minutes of the engine running it is not bypassing the filter.

If the engine was obviously sludged, probably not a bad idea to change the filter.

If the engine was pretty spotless, then there isn't much reason to change the filter. Used filters seem to do a better job of filtering oil anyways, and the 'change filter with oil always' mantra typically comes not from manufacturers, but rather from the quickie lube and filter sales industry which has a vested interest in selling more product.

I personally would change it. If you are even slightly concerned, the filter is almost free compared to the price of oil. Life's too short to worry.
smile.gif

Well I'm kind of on the fence here. The idea of feeling the filter for warm oil is good. Have to give it a try.

Hey, suprised nobody commented on the 2.5 qts makeup oil. Redline is pretty expensive makeup oil for that quantity, even if I only paid $5 a quart after clearance and rebate.

I was thinking maybe at some point I should switch to the $2.50 a quart Pennzoil synthetic for makeup, especially since there is only 2000 miles left of the oci (if one year) or 3000 if I extend.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads and Future Dads out there....my family is sleeping so I thought I would get a few posts in this morning.

It is interesting that OEM maintance schedules do say to change the filter every other oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
Filter is good for 15k miles easy.

I'll lean to this side of the debate. I say that most filters are good for 10k minimum ..if mileage is the criteria for the OCI. That is, I wouldn't have the same filter on there for 3 years regardless of how many times I changed the oil.

From Redline's website:

"How often should I change my Red Line oil?

It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between . Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary ."

I would probably just change it with the oil.

Yep, not going to change it. I just topped it up 15 oz, so actually it used 3 quarts in 4000 miles. I'll probably run it 15 months or about 7500 miles.

Thanks all.

If it makes you feel more confident in your decision, I just changed out my redline in my filthy saab after 5k miles. I cracked open the filter and it had PLENTY of life in it....It was a Supertech, BTW.

I personally wouldn't use an ultra expensive oil such as Redline if I was using that much oil. Try one of the High Mileage oils instead and see if you can get that consumption down.

I ran Maxlife for a year or two. Running the Redline for the fun of it. After that I have about two dozen Maxlife Synthetic I got for $2 a quart plus six more recently obtained for free. So the Aerostar will spend the rest of its life on Maxlife Synthetic. Yeah, I know, I should run the cheapest stuff I can get, like the Pep Boys 79 cent Exxon Superflo. Anyway, I hope to run the Maxlife Synthetic for a year OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back