Should I Change My Thermostat and Water Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 with 109,000 miles on it. I was thinking it was about time to replace the water pump, thermostat and coolant since all these things are original when the car was built. I just wanted some input if it is a good idea to change these parts out, or if I am just wasting money and time. The water pump doesn't leak water and the car does not overheat. The car has also given me no problems to think I should replace these parts, it is just preventative maintenance. Thanks guys!

Replacing the water pump is a waste of time unless there are other symptoms of its impending doom. Save the time and money on that one. The '97 Explorer in my garage with the same V6 (I think?) is at 169,000 miles with no water pump issues.

Flushing coolant and replacing the thermostat are fine ideas if they've never been done.

I would push it out to about 150,000 at least before changing the water pump. The thermostat on the other hand.......I'd say give 150K a shot as well and go back with an OE temperature thermostat when you do replace it.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Flushing coolant and replacing the thermostat are fine ideas if they've never been done.

+1

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: MNgopher

+1

+2

I would not trade a quality OE water pump for an unknown quality replacement.

The new coolants don't have silicates that drop out and erode impellers like the old days. Naturally you want to keep up on it though.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I just don't want to be one of those people who have car troubles because of a lack of maintenance. I think I am going to do the coolant and thermostat and wait until I NEED to do the water pump. Thanks again!
smile.gif

If you are going to drain it and replace the thermostat, reconsider a new water pump at this time.

Yes, you may go 20-50k more miles or more with the old one.

You'll feel and sleep better, and in the long run, save time.
BTW, get the best thermostat that you can find.

Originally Posted By: morris
be sure and drill a 1/8 hole in the stat so it wont air lock.
Do they not manufacture it with the airhole?

FWIW my Pathfinder (signature) has its original water pump and thermostat (as well as radiator, all coolant hoses and rad cap) at 126,460 mi with no issues. Flushed once (at dealer) and a recent drain & fill with Genuine Nissan coolant + distilled water only. Temperature still hovering at around 180F according to generic scan tool. Timing chain in this vehicle, so I'm just waiting for the thermostat or water pump to die before replacement. I'll likely replace the radiator cap, upper/lower rad hoses and maybe overflow reservoir hose at 150k though when I drain & fill the rad again.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: morris
be sure and drill a 1/8 hole in the stat so it wont air lock.
Do they not manufacture it with the airhole?

Most high quality thermostats already have them. Also, for everyone's information, I am replacing the original parts with genuine Motorcraft parts again.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If you are going to drain it and replace the thermostat, reconsider a new water pump at this time.

Yes, you may go 20-50k more miles or more with the old one.

You'll feel and sleep better, and in the long run, save time.
BTW, get the best thermostat that you can find.

I was feeling the same way, I just don't want to jump the gun. It will save me a considerable amount of time if I do everything all at once. How long do water pumps last once they start leaking?

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
FWIW my Pathfinder (signature) has its original water pump and thermostat (as well as radiator, all coolant hoses and rad cap) at 126,460 mi with no issues. Flushed once (at dealer) and a recent drain & fill with Genuine Nissan coolant + distilled water only. Temperature still hovering at around 180F according to generic scan tool. Timing chain in this vehicle, so I'm just waiting for the thermostat or water pump to die before replacement. I'll likely replace the radiator cap, upper/lower rad hoses and maybe overflow reservoir hose at 150k though when I drain & fill the rad again.

Thanks for the testimony with your vehicle! Everyone's opinions make me think I am underestimating the parts I want to replace.

Coolant is way overdue on a 2000 if still original. thermostat only if you replace hoses as well, pump if you replace belts at the same time.

10 years on original coolant, wow!

I would replace the coolant again and the radiator cap. Probably the thermostat based on accessibility. Water pump - is there weapage through the weap hole?

On the similar thought I am thinking about proactively changing alternator and starter on my van. I really want to avoid any possible on the road breakdown. But I suspect getting OEM quality parts would be way expensive.

to: cjcride. please for give me. its been a LONG time since i have done that type of work. they may all have a small hole. its just an old habit. allso i have heard that if you put 5-10 oz of marvel mystery oil in the rad, it will not rust. i havnt tried it yet, but i think it would work.

Last edited:
I'm like you. I have watched E-bay and now have replacement alternators and brakes for all of my vehicles. And a Tundra alternator from my last tundra that never needed replacing.

For better or worse, I haven't had to change an alternator or starter since the mid 90's. Except for the Audi at 55K, but that was just because it was cheaper to replace the whole alternator than to get the freewheeling clutch replaced on the existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back