Should I change my motor oil (possible dirt)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There. Stupid me. ha. I had to change alternator on my old Nissan today.

I had to remove dipstick to free the alternator, and I ended up leaving the dipstick out the entire hour with moderate wind and not an insignificant amount of dirt in the air.

You think I need to change the oil in a a week or so to get out whatever filtered down the dipstick tube?

Or let it be until I change the oil around March 2017?

The oil only has 500 miles and 1 month on it. I tend to go close to a year on the oil because I only put 5000 miles or less, MaxLife Valvoline is in there.

The dipstick itself had collected a lot of dirt from sitting out, I wiped it off obviously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Unless you were in a dust storm,,, no.

Thanks, that's hard to define. It wasn't full on dust storm, but I would call it a baby dust storm. ha-ha.

I guess I'll change it in a week. Just pains me because it's so nice doing one year oil changes and then to dump it out only a month into it. ha-ha. I had been so happy to get it changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wheel
Shouldn't the filter grab it ?

If that's your thought process then you don't need to change it at all.

No, I don't if I was in your shoes.

The dipstick laying flat on any surface can collect a lot of dust, but the tube has an opening of less than 1/2" in diameter therefore much less dust can get into it.

Also, the oil filter will do its job of filtering larger dust particles that can cause harm to he engine.

I just do normal OCI in your case.

Do whatever lets you sleep at night. You don't need to change your oil. I have had the top half of my engine off, the lifter valley exposed overnight in my garage, did not change my oil, had a UOA done a few thousand miles later, and you could tell no difference.

To explain further; before starting work, I used an engine degreaser at a car wash and a shop vac to remove debris from the valleys in the intake before starting (like in the video), but I had just spent about $50 on my synthetic oil change and didn't want to waste it...I DID vacuum everything loose I could find before opening the engine...Here is a video of what I did without changing oil:

https://youtu.be/YZjEKSqR5Qg

If you are going to change it I think it would be best if you changed it before ever starting it. Once you start it the filter should catch anything of any significance. It probably would not make any sense to change it once it has been started.

And the size if the opening for the dip-stick is pretty small so very little should have got in.

I would not change it. Very small opening for dirt to get in, in a stationary car. Even if some particles did get in there from the wind, they are probably sticking to the inside of the dipstick tube , and an immediate oil change won't get them.

The filter will do its intended job in this case.

As much as people fret about their oil filters here, I'd leave it and let the filter do its job. If in fact anything actually went down the tube.

If you drain it, put it in a clean jug and post it in the for sale section here. Someone will nab it for sure.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No, I don't if I was in your shoes.
The dipstick laying flat on any surface can collect a lot of dust, but the tube has an opening of less than 1/2" in diameter therefore much less dust can get into it.
Also, the oil filter will do its job of filtering larger dust particles that can cause harm to he engine.
I just do normal OCI in your case.

+1
Neither do I.
If need be, do blotter test at intervals of 1000 mi to help you sleep better.
blush.gif

Take your turkey baster (or other oil squirter) and shoot some oil down the dipstick tube to chase any dirt down into the oil pan. Then turn the key and let the filter do its thing. You will feel better.

Thanks for all the responses. I still haven't fired it up but I think I will wait on the oil change.

I realize it won't help with the dirt at that point, but I think I will go 6 months this time because in this old car when the oil thins down, I start to burn and leak some of it, so I will probably cut it down to 6 months to keep the sheering effects down some, at the end of the year, it was going through a lot of oil, whereas with this new fill, I haven't lost a drop nor had the dipstick drop any, so this car likes fresh, full weight oil oddly enough. ha.

Thanks again for all the responses, saved me some money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back