Should I change my coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, vehicle is a '97 Ford Expedition that I last changed the coolant 3 years and 25K miles ago. I used Prestone extended life coolant (up to 150k miles is the claim?) and tap water (from my well). Change or no?
Also, can I use this same stuff for my '06 Toyota Matrix? says use on all cars.
thanks.

the ford should have zerex g-05, the toyota likely toyota pink coolant.

All makes stuff is questionable, especially if looking for longevity, IMO.

What does your owners manual say? As said, likely G-05 is the preferred coolant. Zerex had a nice pdf coolant application chart, but it's not working. Also, not sure it was accurate for Asian cars.

I don't know how long you've used the Prestone, but I doubt it did any damage. (JMO) But do a total flush and go with full strength G-05 ( not premix), if it gives you peace of mind.

I would not go with the same stuff as in the Matrix, unless spec'd the same as the Ford, which I doubt.

BTW, like your display name, one of my favorite movies.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tommyboy
Hey there, vehicle is a '97 Ford Expedition that I last changed the coolant 3 years and 25K miles ago. I used Prestone extended life coolant (up to 150k miles is the claim?) and tap water (from my well). Change or no?
Also, can I use this same stuff for my '06 Toyota Matrix? says use on all cars.
thanks.

The green I always changed at 30K miles...I wouldn't go any longer then 3 years...If it always had the green I would just stick to it.

The Gold I change out every 60K miles.

Looks like the Zerex link is up and working again. It does show the old green coolant, which can be difficult to find.

But, for the Asian cars like Nissan, it's not correct. Chart calls for Dexcool, and Nissan says 'orange coolant' can damage system.

If you're afraid of All Makes coolants, Peak Global Lifetime is an alternative to the conventional green. Good Luck

Zerex coolant chart.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks like the Zerex link is up and working again. It does show the old green coolant, which can be difficult to find

how is it hard to find? i have about 10 cases in stock at any given time.

Ford has only suggested using G-05 in '99 and up vehicles. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay in a '97 Expedition though. I would flush the system and fill it with G-05 or green and distilled water. The well water may be fine, but distilled water is usually less than a dollar per gallon, so why not?

You can find G-05 at Napa. I have seen green at some Napa stores before as well.

Last edited:
Try finding convention green at the major auto parts stores like AAP, AZ or O'Reilly AP or stores like Wally World and Target. I've looked, hard to find. All makes brands variations are now the majority of what these places carry.

Thanks... It sounds like no one would take the Prestone out to the extended mileage that it claims (150k). Maybe I'll change it this fall.
I'm glad I got on here before I put my leftover Prestone into my toyota.

I'd still think long and hard about putting G-05 into the Ford. It is, IMO, more compatible with the green that was in there, and given the difficulty a lot of times in finding green (and ensuring it is the same and not some other chemistry dyed green), G-05 will offer more consistency.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd still think long and hard about putting G-05 into the Ford. It is, IMO, more compatible with the green that was in there, and given the difficulty a lot of times in finding green (and ensuring it is the same and not some other chemistry dyed green), G-05 will offer more consistency.

That is the exact reason I want to switch my car over to G-05. Who needs the headache that green has become. Buying a standardized product is a relief if you ask me. As long as no damage can come to your car from the switch.

I searched and searched for the Zerex G 05, but could not find any. I ended up using the Prestone "All Makes and Models", at a ratio of 60/40 with distilled water. I will flush again in 30,000 miles. I figure it should be OK, because my truck came with green coolant from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back