Should I Change M1 Now or Keep Going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,

So I am trying to decide if I should change out my M1 0w-40 now in my Toyota Landcruiser or keep going. Basically, I wanted to run it to 8000 miles and do a UOA to help get a good UOA on the board for longer mileage use. I am now at 7000 miles. The problem is in the next month, I will likely be taking the cruiser on several trips and if I don't change the oil in the next few weeks (probably about 7500 miles) will end up running it out to 9500-10,000 miles before I can change it.

Since I am on the fence of what to do, what do you guys think? I normally plan on doing 7,500 mile changes. Here is the link to my first UOA on this vehicle.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001262#000000

Cary

I'd ride it out to 10k. Based on your previous analysis, it can handle that. Don't sweat it, this oil can go the distance.
wink.gif
That UOA BTW was awesome.
shocked.gif

Change it, you're not a slave to us. Why worry about oil on a vacation?

OTOH, if it fits your personality, go for it.
smile.gif

Buster is correct, ride it out, even if it goes to 10k or more. This is what synthetic oil is designed for. And long highway trips are super easy on the oil anyhow. If you do 2000 highway miles, I bet it's probably only the equivalent (in terms of engine wear) of about 500 city miles, if even that much.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Change it, you're not a slave to us. Why worry about oil on a vacation?

OTOH, if it fits your personality, go for it.
smile.gif

Not a slave, but given all the information that I have learned on this board, I want to see if there is interest in a 9500-10,000 mile UOA on M1 0w-40. I know when I look through the UOA's, with the exception of the Amsoil guys, it seems that nobody can keep oil in their car more than 5,000 miles.

I don't plan on doing ongoing UOA's of this engine (I am only interested in making sure the oil can go the distance) so this will probably be the last one.

Cary

Remember me?? I own a 1987 Toyota 4x4 with 419,000 miles on it. I changed the Mobil 1 every 10,000 miles from Day 1.

Now, every vehicle treats the oil different, so your luck can differ, but based on your tests. i say run that oil to 10k and enjoy your vacation!

You can always do the low tech analysis - posted elsewhere on the board - of using white card stock and decent drop of oil, make sure no bands of dirt appear after it spreads. If the oil is ok, it will be evenly distribute the dirt indicating oil is still in good shape.

quote:

Originally posted by rg144:
You can always do the low tech analysis - posted elsewhere on the board - of using white card stock and decent drop of oil, make sure no bands of dirt appear after it spreads. If the oil is ok, it will be evenly distribute the dirt indicating oil is still in good shape.

Sorry but I don't believe that that works for a second.

Cary

Since you bought the vehicle not to long ago and just started with the synth I would opt not to extend this interval to 10000. I would dump this batch a few days before the trip to get as many miles out of it and do a uoa to give you a good baseline. If this interval looks good at 7500-8000 extend the next interval to 10000.

If you decided to keep this oil in until after the trip just change the filter and top it up.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 90500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back