Should I/ Can I run Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 in 2011 Jeep Liberty 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

Simple question:

Backstory:
Jeep suggests Pennzoil 5w-30. But i have 76xxx+ miles on it so heavier weight would be okay/better for it. I have 01 Cummins that i run Delvac in and also just picked up 05 Passat TDI that im going to use Delvac for. So i was hoping i could use same oil in Jeep so i can just buy it in bulk and save some money. I've read on internet that people run Delvac in older jeeps 4.0, so it must be true
smile.gif
What do you guys think about Using Delvac 1300 in newer (ish) jeep?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by ruSSrt
Hey guys.

Simple question:

Backstory:
Jeep suggests Pennzoil 5w-30. But i have 76xxx+ miles on it so heavier weight would be okay/better for it. I have 01 Cummins that i run Delvac in and also just picked up 05 Passat TDI that im going to use Delvac for. So i was hoping i could use same oil in Jeep so i can just buy it in bulk and save some money. I've read on internet that people run Delvac in older jeeps 4.0, so it must be true
smile.gif
What do you guys think about Using Delvac 1300 in newer (ish) jeep?

I used to run ST 20W-50 in my 240K miles 1995 4.0, but that's neither the year nor the engine you're asking for. Stick to your manual's recommendation.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Your Liberty specifies 5W20. I wouldn't run such a thick oil in it.

I agree. But plenty of people on here will disagree.

The 3.7 V6 doesn't have much in common with the 4.0 inline 6-while I run 15W40 in my XJ, it also has 246,000 miles on it & has low oil pressure. You'll get better MPGs on a quality 5W20/5W30, like Castrol Magnatec, or the Rotella Gas Truck that Auto Zone is basically giving away after rebate (or if you use a $7 off $30 coupon, they're PAYING you to take 3 jugs of it!)!

just picked up 05 Passat TDI that im going to use Delvac for.

Pretty sure the Passat takes 5W40, at least that's what my 06 Jetta TDI does, and you have to be very careful with the PD diesels that the oil meets specific VW specs.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Pretty sure the Passat takes 5W40, at least that's what my 06 Jetta TDI does, and you have to be very careful with the PD diesels that the oil meets specific VW specs.

I thought we were talking about Jeeps?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by OilReport99

confused2.gif

Well, he says he wants to use it in a VW TDI too but it may cause damage there much before any issues come up in the Jeep.

confused2.gif

Well, he says he wants to use it in a VW TDI too but it may cause damage there much before any issues come up in the Jeep.

He asked a simple question...

Simple question:

And he mentioned, I have 01 Cummins that i run Delvac in and also just picked up 05 Passat TDI that im going to use Delvac for. So i was hoping i could use same oil in Jeep so i can just buy it in bulk and save some money. so he is asking for advice based on other vehicles he plans on using it in.

Yes it will work. Not the best choice, but in warm climates youll have no issues. The 15/40 would probably be perfect for the PD tdi engine if you kept it at a 5k interval, again depending on ambient temps.

And he mentioned, I have 01 Cummins that i run Delvac in and also just picked up 05 Passat TDI that im going to use Delvac for. So i was hoping i could use same oil in Jeep so i can just buy it in bulk and save some money. so he is asking for advice based on other vehicles he plans on using it in.

Those two are a given - he's asking for the Jeep.

Can you read?

Those two are a given - he's asking for the Jeep.

Can you read?

Why are you trolling all my posts?

Back on topic.

Original specification for this engine was 5w-30. As noted numerous times on BITOG, going up one grade is generally ok so I would say a 40 could be used with no issue. Could possibly make it sluggish, but that is for OP to decide.

Bottom line is it won't harm the engine.

You guys are awesome! I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm was asking for my jeep and after doing some reading online of jeep forums i've decided to stick with jeep recommended oil.
But i'm going to creat new thread on diesel side and see what people say about TDI and 15W-40 delvac
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back