Should I buy a Silverstar bulb--answered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what Osram Sylvania has to say about its line of Silverstar bulbs

Applicants herein appreciated that if lamp capsules of the type known as the 9005 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra [...] were inserted into a conventional projection-type headlamp system, the coatings on these lamp capsules (if they could even produce a street-legal beam satisfying NHTSA standards) would be detrimental to performance, due to the manner in which the central, rear region of the ellipsoidal projection-type reflector forms the hotspot.

In other words: Osram Sylvania knows that the 9005 Silverstar Ultra bulb doesn't perform well in many headlamps, and [censored], it might not even satisfy minimum legal standards in your headlamp!

Once I found out how difficult it was to change bulbs on my 2014 Fusion … did a bit of research and just put in Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra … big improvement over stock and supposed to outlast SS.

I ran Silverstars for a few years, they are way over priced for how long they last. I also highly recommend not installing them in a vehicle where the bulbs are difficult to change because of their short lifespan. I've been running Philips Xtreme vision with much better results in my car, and my Jeep I converted from sealed beam halogens to LEDs for the price of a few silverstar bulbs.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Once I found out how difficult it was to change bulbs on my 2014 Fusion … did a bit of research and just put in Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra … big improvement over stock and supposed to outlast SS.

Thanks 4WD. Just ordered a set for the old 98 Accord; still has the original bulbs and they are pretty dim.
I gave the car to a single Mom. Now the car is perfect!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by 4WD

Thanks 4WD. Just ordered a set for the old 98 Accord; still has the original bulbs and they are pretty dim.
I gave the car to a single Mom. Now the car is perfect!

I did the 9012 mod in my Accord. Made a marked difference in light output.

As far as Silverstars - I had surprisingly good luck with them. They were still going strong after 2 yrs but became noticeably dimmer.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I did the 9012 mod in my Accord. Made a marked difference in light output.

What is the 9012 mode? Just a different bulb or is it more involved?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back