should I buy 01 honda civic with 150,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at a 2001 honda civic. 150,000 miles, car is beutifull,5speed, original owner, has all receipts for all maintenance including oil changes, showed timing belt and water pump done 5,000 ago. Asking $3700 or best. What do you all think? Should I? Runs and drives great, just worried about mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Im looking at a 2001 honda civic. 150,000 miles, car is beutifull,5speed, original owner, has all receipts for all maintenance including oil changes, showed timing belt and water pump done 5,000 ago. Asking $3700 or best. What do you all think? Should I? Runs and drives great, just worried about mileage.

How is the body?

My Civic has 429K miles with no problems other then usual maintenance and an overhaul of the engine at 420K miles. I did replace the bearings and seals in the 5-speed at 200K because of bearing noise but so far it's still good, today.

You're looking at a keeper, one owner, no rust and maintenance records. Go for it.

Give him/her an offer at $2950. Likely he'll ask to split it. I would be happy with paying about $3100.

That's a good price. You might be able to get a few hundred off of that price, though. My girlfriend has an '01 with around 62,000 miles on it and it's been a great car so far. The 5-speeds are generally more reliable than the autos in that particular year as well. If there is truly no rust, go for it. I must say that the 1.7 engine in that car is deceivingly peppy. I would have expected it to be slow, but it has a good amount of pick-up.

AC is always a weak spot on hondas, but if that does not matter to you, I still think $3700 is a tad high, but those receipts are gold in value.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
those receipts are gold in value.

I agree here. That the owner kept receipts shows that they cared about the car, and that trait is invaluable when looking at a used car. That the seller is the original owner is also a big plus; original owner and only driver, even better, especially considering it is a manual transmission.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time than a few hundred dollars either way is not going to make a big difference. No harm in pulling out 3k in cash and offering it to the seller. If they balk pull out the extra $700 and be done with it. We are looking at a desirable model here in any form; that it has been well maintained makes it doubly so. Based on the information you have provided I say, "go for it!".

The one question I'd have, and the most obvious, would be, "Why are you selling?" It has been only 5k miles since the timing belt replacement. Were they planning on selling before the T-belt, or does the car not feel the same since the service?

+1 on asking why they are selling especially since the timing belt has just been changed and they've looked after that vehicle well.

Thank you for all the input, u all are great, I just put a deposit down to hold it until tuesday. I am so nervouse because of the miles, never had a honda, hope I made good hoice. What oil would u use in the car. No consumption, no leaks.

Given its maintenance history, I would not be overly concerned with 150k miles; you can read up on owners with high mileage Honda's here and here

As for oil, any major brand will do. If you plan to extend your intervals, consider synthetic. Personally, I've been very happy with Pennzoil over the years. They have an excellent promotion currently: $10 rebate on 5 qts. At Walmart a 5qt jug of platinum pureplus goes for $22.66. If you have a Shell nearby you can stack FRN rewards of $.50/gallon on top of this rebate, up to 20 gallons. If you maxed out that reward you would be getting 5qts of synthetic oil for $2.66 (tax not included), or $.53/qt, which really makes the question of what oil to use moot.

Any 5w20 dino oil will do just fine. Tighten the slack on the gas pedal cable as these cars have lots of slack and need adjustment.

Don't worry about 150K miles, its a Civic
wink.gif

My dad stopped driving and I just inherited his 2005 Civic coupe with 30K miles. Great little cars for the money.

2001 was a bad year for Civics. So my says, she had one for ten years and 176k. I thought it was a tin can. But it did it's job, albeit it took a set of wheel bearings, full exhaust, several ac repairs to get there. Traded after a couple years with no ac, dealer said it needed a complete new system and we weren't about to pay for it.

Only real grief it gave us is when it blew a cv and stranded the wife with a newborn. I never really liked that car after that.

I thought it a tin can, but we do nothing but highway. It did feel peppy around town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back