Should I be worried about Craftsman set?

I just picked up some new Craftsman tools from Lowes for a new tool bag. I've used them a few times now and they are, in my opinion, every bit as good as the standard Craftsman tools have ever been. And better than the standard HF fare by a country mile.

We must remember that Craftsman was never "Snap On" quality, but it was always good enough for significant use.

Of course, once you get into the "professional" lines that each group has or does offer, things may be a bit different. With smooth chrome finishes and thinner walled sockets.

Good to hear!

I still hate the clear plastic handle screwdrivers..... I have some Craftsman. They are great for the less used items. Like a 30mm wrench. You may need it 1-2 times a year or less. A ratchet? Treat yourself to a top quality one

I worked in the tools dept of a Sears store around 2013 or 2014 for hobby money. Store is closed now. Back then I think there were USA made Craftsman tools and Chinese. Nothing from Taiwan. If I remember correctly.

I have a lot of Craftsman sockets and wrenches. Mostly pretty good quality. I bought some Weight tools which I think are a step up from Craftsman. But Wright seems to be missing some tools. For example I bought some 1/2'" drive 6 pt deep SAE sockets. But cannot find metric.

I’ve had a bunch of Craftsman tools. Took an older 3/8” ratchet to Lowe’s and they gave me a nice polished one with way more teeth since the normal one was out of stock. I really like it.

considering price,quality ,craftsman is a good deal ,you will not go wrong with them and will hold up fine

If you are really worried, you could indicate through the grapevine you would rather have a new tie instead.

Except the gift graciously, they will serve a homeowner well.If you don't like the tool in the kit you use the most,research and replace it.Its a win win

What's the reputation for older (1960s-1980s) made in USA Craftsman wrenches and sockets? My dad has complete sets of both SAE and metric. Are they worth selling to buy tool truck brand tools?

What's the reputation for older (1960s-1980s) made in USA Craftsman wrenches and sockets? My dad has complete sets of both SAE and metric. Are they worth selling to buy tool truck brand tools?
I don't why you would need to . That older Craftsman stuff is good to go and the truck brand stuff is horribly overpriced . Yeah , I know , If you're a professional mechanic it's a right of passage . ;)

I don't why you would need to . That older Craftsman stuff is good to go and the truck brand stuff is horribly overpriced . Yeah , I know , If you're a professional mechanic it's a right of passage . ;)
I figured it was good stuff. Would like to sell/trade in some of the 12 point Craftsman sockets for 6 point modern ones.

Warranty is still good. Lowe's carries the brand now and I know a few people that walked in with stripped ratchets and screwdrivers and walked out with new ones no questions asked.

Warranty is still good. Lowe's carries the brand now and I know a few people that walked in with stripped ratchets and screwdrivers and walked out with new ones no questions asked.
I just watched a bunch of videos and guys were hit and miss with getting hassled or not with the warranty exchange.

I figured it was good stuff. Would like to sell/trade in some of the 12 point Craftsman sockets for 6 point modern ones.
12 pt Craftsman sockets are great, and I would not trade them for newer 6 pt. Instead, I would add new 6 pt sockets to the collection (I use both types, depending on the application, and never stripped a bolt with a Craftsman 12 pt).

I have a lot of Craftsman sockets and wrenches. Mostly pretty good quality. I bought some Weight tools which I think are a step up from Craftsman. But Wright seems to be missing some tools. For example I bought some 1/2'" drive 6 pt deep SAE sockets. But cannot find metric.
That is one of the very few things i don't like about Wright is the gaps in their catalog especially on the metric side. Mostly i would get the US made Proto to fill in those gaps until the new USA Craftsman comes out

Back