Should I be happy with my new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
This summer I got a set of Continental TrueContacts from Discount Tire.
They weren't cheap, but were the second-highest rated tires in their category on Tire Rack, nearly as well-rated as Michelin Defender.
I've put about 7000 miles on the tires and I'm just not confident in their braking.

Two times (in city freeway driving) I have had to make panic stops on completely dry roads. In the worst instance (a car had stopped in the left lane of an 8-lane freeway), I stopped quickly from 75 mph, but the car screeched, slid, and skidded halfway out of the lane (again, completely dry roads). I found this to be exceptionally frightening and I almost got hit. Another time, from 50 mph, I slammed on the brakes to avoid an accident, and, again, the car slid and made a loud screeching noise. And last night, this time on wet roads, I braked from 35 mph for a yellow light, but nearly slid right through it (it felt very similar to driving on slush/ice). When cornering, the car feels somewhat like it wants to slide off to the outside of the curve. I drive normally and don't really push the tires but I am not very satisfied with them, does this seem reasonable? Not to complain, but I feel that I should be able to stop reasonably well. (My car has ABS, and stability control, FWIW.) I am considering using the "satisfaction guarantee" that Discount Tire offers, as I really am not confident in these new $450 tires. Any thoughts?

I would talk to Cont. They make many different car components under many brands . They seem to care about quality more than alot of companies .

Screeched, slid, skidded...

Sounds more like your ABS isn't working.

Even the worst tires, on the most slippery surfaces, will continue rolling if the ABS is functioning properly.

I once found myself in a Vermont ice storm, on summer performance tires. Truly horrible traction from them (not their fault, but the fault of the wrong tire for the conditions). But the car steered straight, stopped straight, and the tires didn't slip when I braked.

Because the ABS worked as designed...

Could be your ABS isn't working correctly. Also, the Continental True Contacts are rock hard tires and are much like those Fred Flintstone had on the Flintmobile. Have you checked the air pressure? "When cornering, the car feels somewhat like it wants to slide off to the outside of the curve." Now, that sounds like over inflation.

+1 on checking inflation and the possibility of you having overdriven the tires.

I've had nothing but good experiences with the brand but nowhere enough to be authoritative.

If this Camry has 16" wheels, the Contis would be the proper T-rated tires. If it has 17" wheels, they would be H-rated, which is under the factory-spec V-rating and may be a contributing factor. If they are correct T-rated, and none are found to have slipped belts, uneven inflation would be my guess. This isn't a common complaint with these tires, and they would fit the car's character very well in 16" T-rated spec.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Screeched, slid, skidded...

Sounds more like your ABS isn't working.

Even the worst tires, on the most slippery surfaces, will continue rolling if the ABS is functioning properly.

I once found myself in a Vermont ice storm, on summer performance tires. Truly horrible traction from them (not their fault, but the fault of the wrong tire for the conditions). But the car steered straight, stopped straight, and the tires didn't slip when I braked.

Because the ABS worked as designed...
That's the first thing I thought too, especially when he said he doesn't push his tires. My car will chirp the tires a tiny bit when I stand on the brakes and I push my tires pretty hard sometimes. It sounds like OP's wheels are locking up and taking him for a ride.

You would think it would throw a code or something.

Sounds like brake problems to me.

With properly functioning ABS, you could buy the absolute cheapest Chinese tires and they shouldn't skid either, the car shouldn't allow it.

Originally Posted by TmanP
Hello all,
This summer I got a set of Continental TrueContacts from Discount Tire.
They weren't cheap, but were the second-highest rated tires in their category on Tire Rack, nearly as well-rated as Michelin Defender.
I've put about 7000 miles on the tires and I'm just not confident in their braking.
Two times (in city freeway driving) I have had to make panic stops on completely dry roads. In the worst instance (a car had stopped in the left lane of an 8-lane freeway), I stopped quickly from 75 mph, but the car screeched, slid, and skidded halfway out of the lane (again, completely dry roads). I found this to be exceptionally frightening and I almost got hit. Another time, from 50 mph, I slammed on the brakes to avoid an accident, and, again, the car slid and made a loud screeching noise. And last night, this time on wet roads, I braked from 35 mph for a yellow light, but nearly slid right through it (it felt very similar to driving on slush/ice). When cornering, the car feels somewhat like it wants to slide off to the outside of the curve. I drive normally and don't really push the tires but I am not very satisfied with them, does this seem reasonable? Not to complain, but I feel that I should be able to stop reasonably well. (My car has ABS, and stability control, FWIW.) I am considering using the "satisfaction guarantee" that Discount Tire offers, as I really am not confident in these new $450 tires. Any thoughts?

Sounds like ABS problems, when did you change the brake fluid last? If there is water in it it effects the sensors by creating rust.

I've got a set of Continental TrueContacts on my Odyssey, been on for about 32k miles, and my experience has been completely opposite to yours. These tires ride extremely well, are "fairly" quiet, and have had great traction in wet, dry, snow, etc on both acceleration and braking regardless of the circumstances.

I agree with all the other posters mentioning your brakes... if there was not a problem with ABS, you should not get any of the noises mentioned by Astro other than maybe a quick, rapid chirping when you first slam on the brakes and ABS begins to modulate. Also check your inflation pressure, as the TrueContacts have a tall sidewall, and make sure they are properly inflated (I always inflate mine to 10% under the listed max pressure on the sidewall)- if they are underinflated, they will be rolling onto the sidewall during heavy cornering. Not good for handling, or for the tire.

You did a panic stop from 75 MPH and another panic stop from 50 MPH. When is the last time you've seen an Optometrist?

I had an eye exam last year... for some explanation, Omaha (where I'm at for school) was ranked as having the worst drivers in the nation.

These both involved rush hour urban Interstate driving. In the first one, a car had come to a dead stop (with no brake lights) in the left lane of an 8-lane freeway.

The other instance involved a semi cutting me off from the left.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I've got a set of Continental TrueContacts on my Odyssey, been on for about 32k miles, and my experience has been completely opposite to yours. These tires ride extremely well, are "fairly" quiet, and have had great traction in wet, dry, snow, etc on both acceleration and braking regardless of the circumstances.

I agree with all the other posters mentioning your brakes... if there was not a problem with ABS, you should not get any of the noises mentioned by Astro other than maybe a quick, rapid chirping when you first slam on the brakes and ABS begins to modulate. Also check your inflation pressure, as the TrueContacts have a tall sidewall, and make sure they are properly inflated (I always inflate mine to 10% under the listed max pressure on the sidewall)- if they are underinflated, they will be rolling onto the sidewall during heavy cornering. Not good for handling, or for the tire.
You run your tires that high on a car? I think my snowies max pressure is 44 PSI, at 40 PSI they would rattle my teeth out!

Most people, including myself have no idea how their brakes, or tires are going to work in a panic stop situation. That is the worst time to find out. It always best practice to occasionally test any vehicle under maximum braking in a controlled area, which reminds me I need to do that on a couple of my vehicles I haven't tested. Practice always helps.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You run your tires that high on a car? I think my snowies max pressure is 44 PSI, at 40 PSI they would rattle my teeth out!

Yes, I find it is the best mix of mileage (both gas and tire life), handling, and harshness for my tastes.

I agree with everyone else. While I'm not the biggest fan of that particular tire, worst case with modern, working ABS and four similar tires, you should just slow down too slowly without much drama - unless you rear end the guy in front of you. There may be tire noise, but no real skidding and very little squirming. If there is debris in the road, or slick spots, you may feel a tug in one direction - but nothing major.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back