Should I be concerned or am I being paranoid?

I am about to install this NAPA Gold 7356 filter and while pre-filling the filter, I noticed it bubbling from the (I believe it's called the) baseplate. Here is a picture showing the bubble (the pictured bubble is tiny, while filling they were larger and rapid, like blowing through a straw into a drink gently). Is this an issue or don't worry about it? I know any other lube tech in the country wouldn't have dreamed of noticing this because they wouldn't have pre-filled the filter. So I'm inclined to believe it's fine, I've just never seen one bubble like that.

20210831_190034.jpg

But when it is installed, isn't that the area where downward pressure is pushing oil INTO the filter, then it filters and comes back up thru the center into the engine? Plus it's screwed on, and there's a rubber gasket around the outside. Seems to me, harmless. But that's just educated guesswork.

Maybe grab a different filter, see if it does the same. Design consistency or a defect?

The air that is being displaced while filling has to go somewhere.
Right, but I've only seen it come from the threaded hole. That's why I asked. Basically my question wasn't "why are there air bubbles?" My question is "why are there air bubbles coming from a place that shouldn't allow air to pass?"

Only harm I could see is there could be a slight leak past the ADBV when the engine is off. When oil is flowing into the filter, it won't harm anything.

Right, but I've only seen it come from the threaded hole. That's why I asked. Basically my question wasn't "why are there air bubbles?" My question is "why are there air bubbles coming from a place that shouldn't allow air to pass?"
Because there is sealant around the circumference of the base plate before it all gets crimped together, so it looks like the sealant didn't seal perfectly.

Last edited:
Fair enough. The vehicle it was going in is already out the door, so we'll see. I figured it was fine, just wanted to consult the council. Haha.

Fair enough. The vehicle it was going in is already out the door, so we'll see. I figured it was fine, just wanted to consult the council. Haha.
It looks so small of a leak path that it probably won't cause much if any leakage past the ADBV when engine is off.

It appears to be a leak path on the filter input side. Since it all flows in from behind that seal ring and inlet holes?

I... really can't see a worry.

Before you sent it I hope that you did an engine run and leak test. If you couldn't see a drop of oil, there seriously isn't a worry I can think of.

It appears to be a leak path on the filter input side. Since it all flows in from behind that seal ring and inlet holes?

I... really can't see a worry.

Before you sent it I hope that you did an engine run and leak test. If you couldn't see a drop of oil, there seriously isn't a worry I can think of.
Yeah, I literally always fire it up and immediately check for oil leaking. It's automatic to me, no exceptions. It was fine, so off it went.

Back