Should I add Moly to my Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think you should try two intervals with it as is, and do oil analysis, and then try adding a moly supplement to see if the wear numbers change. I've always been curious to see if Amsoil could improve their formula with the addition of moly.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Having dealt with the folks at AMSOIL for over 25 years, I suspect that they would use moly if they though it would make their oil any better---

Does switching the XL series over to a group 3 base oil make it better though? I think not.

quote:

Does switching the XL series over to a group 3 base oil make it better though? I think not

True, it doesn't. I think what Terry says is very true for a lot of there oils. While it is a well built oil, they don't hold up like they use to. I never really thought Amsoil had bad wear numbers. In fact, I think they are generally a bit better then M1. My biggest complaint with there oil is the TBN depletion and out of grade viscosity. Moly wouldn't help this, as far as I know. It seems Boron and Moly though are the way to go these days.

[ May 21, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I will let you know. I have added the Schaeffer #132 to two vehicles and I use the Amosil 10W30 (not the XL series) Will be a few months before analysis but will see. Of course, one of them is on an older vehicle with high mileage the other about 90,000. The 10W30 for me, in the two vehicles noted has difficulty at the 7500 mile mark, the oil is pretty beat up and TBN down in the 2-5 range.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I will let you know. I have added the Schaeffer #132 to two vehicles and I use the Amosil 10W30.

Slould be interesting Spector. I'm also thinking of adding it to the Delvac 1 for my son's Piston-Slapping 3.4 GrandAm
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You'll get excellent wear numbers without the moly ...

TS

True, but nobody knows for sure if they'll get even better with the addition of moly, so someone might as well give it a try!

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Just dont use Scamsoil, and You will be fine.

I just put some in my car!!! is it going to blow up tomorrow?!?!!?!?!

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Just dont use Scamsoil, and You will be fine.

I just put some in my car!!! is it going to blow up tomorrow?!?!!?!?!

I highly doubt it.

Don't worry not understanding. The person who is against Amsoil in this thread has advocated using non-detergent oil in a modern engine. I wouldn't pay too much attention.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I just don't understand...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Don't worry not understanding. The person who is against Amsoil in this thread has advocated using non-detergent oil in a modern engine. I wouldn't pay too much attention.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I just don't understand...

You aren't kidding. Some of the questions/suggestions are really odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back