Should he be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
A bud of mine is using PP 10w-30 in his toy camry and the temps around here are going over 100F as of lately. His 94 camry calls for 10/30 and we were wondering should he go with like a 10/40 or maybe a HD30 or HD10/30?
He wants engine protection and could care less about fuel efficiency.

If 10w-30 PP can't take heat, then no oil can!

Seriously, 10w-30 synthetic is probably going to take high oil temperatures better then a HD30 conventional oil.

Can't get much better than that, I'd tell him not to worry just to stay within the manufacturer reccomended OCI. Just my opinion and my regimin.

Any 10w-30 will be fine for that application. They're much more robust than they would have been 15 years ago, and the 2.2 is a tank (sans the timing belt).

No need for a syn, but I don't need them either and still do it for the little extra.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Seriously, 10w-30 synthetic is probably going to take high oil temperatures better then a HD30 conventional oil.

That's a bold statement for an oil with an HTHS of only 3.15 cP!

Conventional oils (Group II based) these days are so good, I'd have no problem running even a conventional SM rated 5W-30/10W-30 in 115F desert heat.

A synthetic 10W-30 like PP will handle the heat even better.

However hot it may be outside, it's hotter under your hood. Other than startup wear considerations, I wouldn't let the weather dictate your oil. 10W30 sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: mickeeand
Hey all,
A bud of mine is using PP 10w-30 in his toy camry and the temps around here are going over 100F as of lately. His 94 camry calls for 10/30 and we were wondering should he go with like a 10/40 or maybe a HD30 or HD10/30?
He wants engine protection and could care less about fuel efficiency.

Look at this photo;

img0623vv0.jpg

Car? Toyota Corolla 2005 with 5 people in it, stuck in traffic for hours going from San Diego to Las Vegas (which I have done in many vehicles for DECADES)

Check out the outside temp... 112 degrees

Check the coolant temp.. A little BELOW middle which is about 184-195degrees (I normally have the Scan Gauge hooked up but did not take it for this trip)

Oil? 5w-30 conventional with NO worries. I've done UOAs after months of high 90s to this type of temps and they show the oil having an excellent flashpoint, TBN and low wear metals.

I've done it with a V6 Ford, I4 VW, V8 Ford and V8 Chevy and so on.

All my engines go well past hundreds of thosands of miles. Never had to run a x-40wt oil even with yesterdays oils.

If your friend wants engine protection, just change the oil with what the manual recommends and FOLLOW the OCI. A UOA will assist you in finding out what works in HIS engine.

But this thought "process" that 5w-30 oil can not protect in high heat does not face the facts.

Take care, Bill

A 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic oil should serve him well. If the OM calls for a 10W30 I would have no fear using it.

As Bill said, anything above what's *recommended* is probably overkill with todays oils.

Using PP is indeed overkill. Nothing wrong with overkill, I run PP exclusively in my Forester
crazy2.gif

Just know that any 5w30 conventional SM brand name oil will protect you just fine with reasonable oci's.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

That's a bold statement for an oil with an HTHS of only 3.15 cP!

Look at NOACKS!

Look at NOACKS!

I can't find Noack values for any SAE 30 oils, but flash points are typically higher for SAE 30 oils.

I think HTHS is a better indicator of high temperature engine protection, and SAE 30 oils have plenty of that!

Originally Posted By: Gurney
What, no one wants to jump in here with a 5W-20 weight recommendation?
grin2.gif

If the manufacture of his car recommended it, I would have no problem running the 5W-20, but his car does not recommend it, so I won't either.

I will put it another way. My manual recommends only 5W-20 and I am going to spending the month of August in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I'm sure not going to use something else just because I'm visiting that part of the country during the hottest part of the year.

Last edited:
I'll add that I don't think there will be any significant difference in engine wear between a straight 30 and a 10W-30.

If the guy wants overkill engine protection, I'd recommend a 15W-40. I don't think he needs the kind of high temperature protection that a 15W-40 will provide, but it's not going to hurt anything except fuel economy and it's cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back