Should criminals be given a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by spasm3
ZZman My thought is the quicker they can serve time and integrate back into society said:
I also don't want people who come here illegally, or intentionally overstay their visas here either. They should be permanently booted in favor of those who want the to come here the right way and assimilate...

You would rather pay the huge sums of money to keep them locked up? What go do they do for society being locked up other than create guard jobs. It does help lower the crime rate. But if we can reduce the crime rate using orher options and help make them productive members of society why not? Would you prefer we just kill them? Or weed out the weak and let the strong survive as I often hear?

We all bear responsibility for these people one way or the other, not just me.

Just to be clear I would have no problem with the death penalty for murders or serial rapists.

But the vast majority are locked up for drugs, property or other non violent crimes. They will eventually get out.

As a child, we went South on a family vacation. I saw people chained together, making the road shoulder clean and neat. My dad said they were doing that because they they had done bad things. I Believe that being in prison means you did very bad things and should not be rewarded with gym, color TV, cell phones, booze, drugs etc. Chain Ganges are a great way to off some small payback for the food & bed they have. Maybe they won't want to repeat in the future. We know the prison rehab doesn't work because 90+% return. Ed

Originally Posted by ZZman
You would rather pay the huge sums of money to keep them locked up?..... Would you prefer we just kill them?

Either one. The latter being much more cost effective.

You would rather pay the huge sums of money to keep them locked up? What go do they do for society being locked up other than create guard jobs. It does help lower the crime rate. But if we can reduce the crime rate using orher options and help make them productive members of society why not? Would you prefer we just kill them? Or weed out the weak and let the strong survive as I often hear?

Yes. Paying huge sums of money to keep those nasty animals locked up is the right thing to do for career criminals, rapists, child predators, murder, sex traffickers, home invasion, drug traffickers, etc....

Non violent criminals do their time , get released and realize they better shape up.

A bit extreme, don't you think ? I am about as far from liberal as you can get, but I do believe that some non-violent offenders can and do change, and should be given the opportunity to do so. I am not talking about rapists, murderers, child molesters, they can rot in H***. Yes, THEY are worthless animals. I am talking about first time offenders for relatively minor violations, misdemeanors. I have seen first time offenders pay their debt to society, and change their lives and become respectable citizens, so please don't tell me otherwise. I believe a civilized society has to have some compassion, and offer a second chance. Repeat offenders and violent offenders are a different story.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
RAISE TAXES AND BUILD MORE PRISONS !!!!! We need to have more criminals behind bars.

I agree completely. "Rehabilitation" has proven to fail over and over. And we seem to have no problem continuing to waste money on it. Put that same money into more and BIGGER prisons.

I never understood why some people arrested 20+ times are still walking the streets. I understand overcrowded jails and prisons have states like California releasing criminals early.

Or why people with 10 DUI's are still driving, and causing wrecks? California has managed to set itself up as an example of what not to do. They don't like walls, or incarceration of any type. They will give drivers licenses to illegals..... But won't arrest them for their repeated crimes, or even let ICE do it. Property crime is off the chart in cities like San Francisco. And their "solution" is to hire crews to clean the fecal matter off the sidewalks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-fran...to-clean-up-citys-feces-ridden-sidewalks

Amazing how they find money to fund this type of lunacy. But not for building more prisons to keep their citizens safe, or their streets scum free. Run away liberalism at it's absolute finest.

Right, now everything is California's fault. I had many contractors who come to my house and get things done. One is the guy who promise the sky and demand money every single day even if he screw up or come late, because he had a loan due on his BHPH beater. The other one is the guy who get things done the right way, tell me to check for everything before asking me to pay, on time, and polite.

Guess which one is American and which one is a wall jumper? Guess which one is trying to threaten me in front of my wife and kid, and thinks the whole world owe him and don't trust him enough to give him a chance?

Guess which one has a criminal background?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
RAISE TAXES AND BUILD MORE PRISONS !!!!! We need to have more criminals behind bars.

I agree completely. "Rehabilitation" has proven to fail over and over. And we seem to have no problem continuing to waste money on it. Put that same money into more and BIGGER prisons.

I never understood why some people arrested 20+ times are still walking the streets. I understand overcrowded jails and prisons have states like California releasing criminals early.

Or why people with 10 DUI's are still driving, and causing wrecks? California has managed to set itself up as an example of what not to do. They don't like walls, or incarceration of any type. They will give drivers licenses to illegals..... But won't arrest them for their repeated crimes, or even let ICE do it. Property crime is off the chart in cities like San Francisco. And their "solution" is to hire crews to clean the fecal matter off the sidewalks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-fran...to-clean-up-citys-feces-ridden-sidewalks

Amazing how they find money to fund this type of lunacy. But not for building more prisons to keep their citizens safe, or their streets scum free. Run away liberalism at it's absolute finest.

Right, now everything is California's fault. I had many contractors who come to my house and get things done. One is the guy who promise the sky and demand money every single day even if he screw up or come late, because he had a loan due on his BHPH beater. The other one is the guy who get things done the right way, tell me to check for everything before asking me to pay, on time, and polite.

Guess which one is American and which one is a wall jumper? Guess which one is trying to threaten me in front of my wife and kid, and thinks the whole world owe him and don't trust him enough to give him a chance?

Guess which one has a criminal background?

I'd say your example is the exception, not the rule...

2% of the population commits 99% of the crime . Prisons , work camp's , I don't care what just get the scum off the streets .

2% of the population commits 99% of the crime . Prisons , work camp's , I don't care what just get the scum off the streets .Grampi is correct !!

Yes. Paying huge sums of money to keep those nasty animals locked up is the right thing to do for career criminals, rapists, child predators, murder, sex traffickers, home invasion, drug traffickers, etc....

Non violent criminals do their time , get released and realize they better shape up.

THIS ^^

Not to get Off Topic....

My oldest sister was a victim of a home invasion by 4 criminals. They pistol whipped her husband , threaten to kill my sister if she didn't open the safe, robbed the house and terrorized her kids.

A few weeks later, undercover robbery detectives / SWAT tracked the crew down and a killed all 4 thugs in a major shootout. If they weren't killed all 4 would face life sentences without parole.

I'm sure some silly people here would say it was wrong to kill these violent criminals (responsible for 15 robberies) and they deserved only 5 years in prison.
smirk.gif

An overhead police helicopter filmed the shooting.
smile.gif

Right, now everything is California's fault.

Not California proper. Just the idiots they keep electing. California used to be the place to be. Now it's the place to be from.

Originally Posted by grampi
I'd say your example is the exception, not the rule...

No, not exception. I've seen this in tree trimmers, in plumbers, etc around here.

Those local folks all bragged that they have been here for 20 years, but they will only take the job if you hire another guy to cover the part that they MAY BREAK, instead of knowing how to NOT BREAK something in the first place.

Example 1: a former pastor who talked more about his ministry and 5 kids than the tree I want him to cut down. He said he will only dig up the stump if I hire a plumber to be on site and patch the broken PVC water main, smart for him but why should I hire him over the other guy? The other guy is a stump remover and a tree trimmer, he have a trunk full of PVC parts and cement, and when the water main breaks (it will break because the stump wrapped around the water main after 2 decades), he will patch it on the spot. This guy looks like he had a tough life and had a former conviction, but he knows what he is doing.

Example 2: another guy who had been doing tree trimming for decades gave me a quote on removing a tree in the yard, but said that he will not remove the tree because his equipment can't move pass my fence gate. He said he had to remove the fence to bring it in or I have to find another guy (younger guy who used to work for him) to do the stump after he remove the tree by hand held equipment (he is too old to carry that around). He charges more to remove just the tree than the other guy doing the whole thing, who somehow can move the equipment past my fence and remove everything himself all within 1 hr. That guy told me a lot about how to find the right contractor and how he would find contractors for his own home (find a guy that does one thing only, instead of a jack of all trade), and he told me how he turned his life around after being on the street since he was 15, by focusing and doing a good job on one thing only (trimming trees and removing stumps).

Example 3: my father in law rented his former home to a family of government worker (as American as can be) with bad credit (bankruptcy), and it was a nightmare. The renter decided to bring my FIL to court because he didn't refund the security deposit due to damages, stolen properties, vandalism, and leaving without a 30 day notice. He should have rented to the immigrant family with a good credit but not much English skill instead.

Yeah, somehow I have seen more exceptions than the norm, but I'm not sure why, maybe it is the norm here and not the exception. There are a lot of entitled people expecting more just because they are (insert whatever you like).

Last edited:

I would like to spend less money than we do now( jails are too posh here). But yes I want society protected from repeat criminals. Jail is not feared by career criminals, infact it's a badge of honor, or street cred if you will . Jail needs to be more feared, and not seen as a catch and release facility. Children get abused,beaten and killed and perps get less than 10 years. I want life for these offenses.

Right, now everything is California's fault.

Not California proper. Just the idiots they keep electing. California used to be the place to be. Now it's the place to be from.

As soon as I tried to elect everyone except the idiot, the people in mid-west / south started telling him to increase my tax and make UC accept fewer Californians (so we don't have to pay as much tax to support the UC), and now my kids have to go to an out of state college or pay more for private college.

Yeah, I'd take an idiot on my side than a non idiot that is on the other side, it is democracy after all, right?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
They paid their debt to society.

OK, let's park a child molester, a murderer, and a rapist next door to YOU.

You know they make the nicest neighbors right?

The news crews are always interviewing the neighbors and they all pretty much say the same thing, he was the nicest guy and they had no clue they would do something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back