Shots Fired at Toys 'R' Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) — Two men pulled guns and shot each other to death in a crowded toy store Friday after the women with them erupted into a bloody brawl, witnesses said. Scared shoppers fled but no one else was hurt.

The violence erupted on Black Friday, the traditional post-Thanksgiving start of the holiday shopping surge, but authorities indicated the shooting wasn't related to a shopping frenzy.

Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez said the fight was not over a toy. He said handguns were found by the men's bodies, but he released little other information. He would not answer a question about whether the shooting was gang-related.

Witnesses Scott and Joan Barrick said they were checking out of the store when the fight began between two women, each with a man. The women were near the checkout area, but the Barricks did not think the women had purchases.

One woman suddenly started punching the other woman, who fought back as blood flowed from her nose, Scott Barrick, 41, said.

The man who was with the woman being punched pulled a gun halfway out of his pocket, then shoved it back in, he said.

"He pulled his gun right next to me. I turned to look for my wife, and she was already hiding," Barrick said.

"I was scared," said Joan Barrick, 40. "I didn't want to die today. I really didn't want to die today, and I think that's what we were all thinking."

The other man pulled a gun and pointed it at the first man but forgot to cock it, Scott Barrick said. The first man tried to run but was blocked by the line of people, then ran back toward the store's electronics section as the other man fired his gun, he said.

The first man reached a dead-end in electronics, turned around and ran toward an exit, pulling his gun and firing back, he said.

"He went up to the cash register, he went to put his hand on the thing and he just went phoomp," he said, indicating the man fell.

He said he did not see what happened to the other man.

Palm Desert Councilman Jim Ferguson said police told him two men with handguns shot and killed each other.

"I think the obvious question everyone has is who takes loaded weapons into a Toys "R" Us?" he said. "I doubt it was the casual holiday shopper."

Ray Turner, 20, said he was two aisles away when two women began shouting and screaming at each other and he had a clear view of the fight until a crowd clustered around them. Both women had children, he said.

"We thought it was just a fight and then someone yelled, 'He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' You really couldn't see nothing because there was a crowd," Turner said.

Rafael Gomez, 11, said he and his father had been in the store about 20 minutes before the shooting but were in a nearby Pizza Hut when they saw people pouring out of the store screaming.

"We just saw them running and crying. I was kind of scared," Rafael said. "We got lucky."

Toys "R" Us issued a statement expressing outrage over the violence.

"We are working closely with local law enforcement officials to determine the specific details of what occurred," the statement said. "Our understanding is that this act seems to have been the result of a personal dispute between the individuals involved. Therefore, it would be inaccurate to associate the events of today with Black Friday."

The Barricks and others remained at the scene long after the shooting because investigators would not allow cars to be taken from the parking lot until a crime-scene reconstruction was completed.

Palm Desert is a resort town about 120 miles east of Los Angeles.
Hosted by Google
Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Google News

I found this darkly amusing (not to discount the impact of the event)

Quote:
"I didn't want to die today. I really didn't want to die today, and I think that's what we were all thinking."

Did she have an appointment later on in the week? The inconvenience of an unscheduled death can be unsettling, I suppose..especially your own.

Quote:
The first man reached a dead-end in electronics, turned around and ran toward an exit, pulling his gun and firing back, he said.

For him, it was more than a metaphorical dead end.

In Palm Desert, the garbage takes itself out.

We didn't see or hear the news until this evening.

We ate out at lunch and the waiter was telling us about going to Mal-Wart at 3:30 AM to get a $600 television for $380. Said the place was crazy, with people fighting each other for everything.

We were wondering how long it would be before there was a (predictable) tragedy, and that maybe that would put an end to these staged chaotic events.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Mal-Wart

Wasn't there a movie titled Mall Warts?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: jmac
I read that thinking this must be from the Onion.

Nope, seems to be rival gang in SoCal.

ah, Life imitating an episode from The Wire I see.

Years back when I started attending the knife and gun shows in Portland I noticed obvious gang bangers cruising the aisles looking for firearms, and as expected people sold to them. Laws finally got passed requiring background checks before sales, as some sort of attempt at preventing sales to felons, mental cases, etc.

Some gun dealers thought it intrusive on their rice bowl and sold to anyone outside of the shows, and gun traces found the firearms being used in crimes in Chicago, New York, etc.

Like Trump says, "The majority of people are losers." The black Friday sales will become a thing of the past. Too much liability. I wonder what lawsuits will arise from the trampling death of a Wal-Mart employee in New York. The early crowd rushed the store, tearing down the doors, and killing an employee. We sho nuff gettin' dumber by the day.

I don't see the point of door buster and limited availability. Best Buy gives tickets for people waiting in line is the right thing to do. The last thing you want in a store is a riot. If a group of 30 people decided to ran in a rob every customer, or rush out with electronics without paying, and succeed, others will follow suit and do the same (as fairness, I guess). Then other losers will hear that on the news and start robbing local stores all over the place.

Too much liability. Just give a lottery/ticket system or a fair price that has enough inventory for all.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Like Trump says, "The majority of people are losers." The black Friday sales will become a thing of the past. Too much liability. I wonder what lawsuits will arise from the trampling death of a Wal-Mart employee in New York. The early crowd rushed the store, tearing down the doors, and killing an employee. We sho nuff gettin' dumber by the day.

Are you saying that people looking for great deals are dumb?

I think watching what people will go through to acquire passe items at discount is indicative of misaligned priorities.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: beanoil

Are you saying that people looking for great deals are dumb?

No, I believe he's saying that any person willing to brake down a barricade and trample a human being to death in order to buy a 350.00 refurbished laptop is too stupid to be a functioning member of society. When you realize that over two hundred people took part in this, it's not just one person acting in the extreme- it's an entire mass of the population. That's a pretty strong indication that society as a whole is getting dumber every day.

Clipping coupons to save on products = smart and thrifty.

Killing a human being for a "great deal" = too animalistic a behavior to live among other human beings. Put them all in a baboon cage at the Bronx Zoo and throw meat scraps down once a week, let them all live in the type of society they think we already live in.

Trump is a loser, don't quote him.

When you are squeezed into a pack of 300 people trying to get into the store, you need X ray vision to be able to see whether you are stepping on someone or not.

And by the time you realized you stomp on someone, it is too late. If you stop, you will be pushed by the people behind you trying to get through, and you will be stomp yourself.

The problem is not 200 or so individual. It is the cultural of door buster being dangerous. We have extra and redundant fire exit in large gathering as well as fire drill for a reason. The last thing you want in a fire is to panache and run for the exit and stomp on people.

Door buster does exactly what the fire marshals try to avoid.

Last edited:
Quote:
When you are squeezed into a pack of 300 people trying to get into the store, you need X ray vision to be able to see whether you are stepping on someone or not.

And by the time you realized you stomp on someone, it is too late. If you stop, you will be pushed by the people behind you trying to get through, and you will be stomp yourself.

So you're saying that if you're part of the crowd that brakes through the locked door, then it's ok to proceed even after you know you just helped kill someone? Mob mentality is no defense. If you were trying to protect yourself from injury you wouldn't be part of the "herd" to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back