Shot and a beer?

Talking to my grandpa back when he was alive he said most guys did this. He worked in the coke ovens/coal mines. He said in area he and I grew up it was a “Imp and a Iron” or (imperial whiskey and Iron City) beer

Me personally: it’s a Guinness and a shot of Jim Beam

Talking to my grandpa back when he was alive he said most guys did this. He worked in the coke ovens/coal mines. He said in area he and I grew up it was a “Imp and a Iron” or (imperial whiskey and Iron City) beer

Grew up in NW Pa, had a teacher in high school in the 70s who grew up in da 'Burgh. His family worked in the mills and he worked summers there during college. He said at the noon whistle many guys would hit the gate at a run/trot to their favorite nearby bar where the bartenders would have Imp and Irons lined up down the bar. The guys would rush in, put money on the bar and down 1 to 3 I&Is then trot back to the mill before the next whistle blew. There was a name for that lunch but I forget it. Thanks for the memory.

Last edited:
I can honestly say some adult beverages have a certain enjoyable effect on my palate but projectile vomiting ensues after the second sip. Alcohol and I sadly do not get along.

my polish grampa was a carpenter in wmass. his shot and a beer was just about any brand offered but if he was buying it was four roses whiskey and ballantine ale.

twenty years ago i was drinking poktangju (“atomic bomb”) in korea: a shot glass of whiskey is dropped into a mug of beer. one drains the whole thing at one shot, then rattles the glasses to show empty. repeat. no more for me.

Last edited:
Back