Shortest flight you've been on

Seattle to Portland way back when. Also Nagoya (Centrair) to Tokyo Narita some years ago due to a weather divert.

Lawson Army Air Field, GA to Fryar Drop Zone in Alabama. A 2 to 3 mile flight. I did not land with the plane.

View attachment 73846

Yup, same here. 5 successful takeoffs from Lawson, and 5 successful jumps onto Fryar. Just looked at my jump records to confirm it. Got a nasty concussion on I think my 3rd jump, and was lucky to have made it thru the rest of the training and jumps.

But I've done even shorter. CH47s picked us up on an drop zone field, lifted off, flew in a circle, and we jumped. I'd be surprised if we traveled a mile total.

Met friend at KTDZ. He offered me a short ride on a Cessna 310. A few minutes later he came out with his student. Where are we going today? "Nowhere". What are we going to do? "STOL". Two trips around the field in 10 minutes...but it was epic.

General aviation most likely was 4 NM between St. Paul MN and South St. Paul MN. Did that a bunch ferrying planes back and forth.

I flew the Saab-Fairchild SF340 for 7 years and the short stuff was pretty much all we did. 5-9 flights per day.

I think Detroit to Toledo was the shortest scheduled flight. Looks like 42 (nautical) miles. Lots of other city pairs in the 50-75 mile range.

Sweet plane by the way. Wish I could have flown the Saab 2000.
View attachment 73842

What airline / aircraft are you currently flying ?

KDEN (Denver) to our maintenance base at KCFO(CO Air and Space Port, formerly Front Range).

7.8 miles, we did it in 2:18

My dad used to fly Milwaukee to Chicago O'Hare with some regularity.... Like a few times a year. United or American (I think?) had a flight that originated in Milwaukee, stopped at O'Hare and continued on to Miami or Dallas or some other such place. You could book the short MKE-ORD leg if you wanted.

I've heard of people tricking Southwest's reservation computer into giving them crazy routings like SFO-SLC-OAK-LAX and you could just decide to hop off at Oakland if you wanted to. Twelve miles from where you started but it took several hours to get there.

Or just take the BART!

My shortest flight was in a 1968 Ford Mustang, on a special road with a nice hump that if you were going 80 mph you could launch off that hump and fly for probably 50 or 60 feet or more. It was not good for the suspension though. Yeah stupid kid stuff years ago.

Tokyo to Tokyo on a 747 in 2000 on Northwest Airlines. Was supposed to land at Narita but was too low on fuel. Landed at the other Tokyo airport for fuel and hopped back over to the “correct” airport.

Hot summer day, heavy takeoff out of Clark Air Base, Philippines. C5 Galaxy Take off WT 690,000.lbs or close to. Blast off, just after rotate, lose oil pressure # 4. Oh s**t. Everything got exciting. Climbout, leave gear down . Run checklist, checklist, checklist. Declare emergency, circle back to land. 3 eng airspeed, 3 eng wt good planned ahead. Don't need to dump fuel. Long runway. At max braking still be just under the yellow zone. AC is cool head a real smooth operator. (Flew rescue in Viet Nam & Thailand). Greased it on reverse on 2 & 3, not hard max brake. Scanner says he can some fluid leaking from #4. Fire trucks follow us. Found broken oil sump return line fitting. Flight time logged " .2 " = 12 minutes. Another " you won't believe this ".

Cleveland to Detroit. Nice view of Lake Erie. I don't think we even reached cruising altitude.

Just wondering. No caveats. I figure some have been on really short trips on small planes or helicopters. I've heard of scheduled puddle jumpers than might have gone 5 miles to an island without a bridge.

I've personally never been in the air on a small plane before. At my high school we had an aviation club where the sponsor did take members up in a Cessna or Mooney for just the cost of fuel and airport fees, but my parents wouldn't sign the permission slip because they were terrified that it was too dangerous. As an adult I've been in the cockpit of a small plane on the ground and was even looking at maybe going on a free flight that would just loop a few miles and come back, but the line was long. I think the shortest flight I've ever been on was Reno to San Jose on Reno Air back in the late 90s. I was coming back from a business trip from Vegas, and Reno Air was even cheaper than Southwest.

As a kid I remember seeing a bunch of schedules. I think Air California had a regularly scheduled flight from Oakland to San Jose, and it was pretty cheap in the 70s. I think it was $8. But the mother of all short jet flights was Oakland to San Francisco on United. Supposedly just a short hop to/from Denver on a 727, but could be booked separately.
Sc to ny 1.5 hr.

Back