Shortage of .22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
I'll buy it again when these idiots stop with their foolishness. But not now. And certainly not for $50.00 a brick.

I don't think it will really end. Even some of the .22 that has come down is still more then before the glut started. I would buy .22 at 5 cents a round, but not at much more than that.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'll buy it again when these idiots stop with their foolishness. But not now. And certainly not for $50.00 a brick.

I don't think it will really end. Even some of the .22 that has come down is still more then before the glut started. I would buy .22 at 5 cents a round, but not at much more than that.

It will come down to what it was before everyone and their brother started all of this. I remember it was anywhere from $17.95 on sale, to a high of about $23.00. This for a 525 round count of the Remington "Golden Bullets", or else the Federal 550 round "Bulk Pack". The stuff I posted I bought back in the mid 90's. I bought tens of thousands of rounds over a period of several years. It will more than last me the rest of my life. I'll replace what I've shot up over the years..... But not until it comes back down. It will, just like gas. It's only a matter of time.

Firstly I don't want to start something that will get this shut down, so don't let it go that way.
Maybe we could see a 'shortage' of other ammunition in the near future? You see where I'm going?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Firstly I don't want to start something that will get this shut down, so don't let it go that way.
Maybe we could see a 'shortage' of other ammunition in the near future? You see where I'm going?

No. I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Say what you mean.

No. I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. Say what you mean.

Ok, what better way to attempt at least some form of control than to restrict supplies?

Last edited:
Ok, what better way to attempt at least some form of control than to restrict supplies?

This is all tin foil hat nonsense. No one is "restricting" anything. What you're seeing is supply and demand. None of the manufacturers have added extra .22 ammunition production lines. They're too expensive, and it's just not profitable enough. They are running what they have 24 / 7 trying to keep up. But when you have these retired clowns camped out at Wal-Mart at 7:00 AM every morning, buying up everything before it hits the shelf, it makes it pretty hard to get the ammunition to the people who would actually shoot it.

.22 Ammo is cheap enough for even these idiots to stockpile. They're all acting like it's going to be a form of legal tender. Many are reselling it at gun shows and the like. Sooner or later it will end. Until it does you'll have more of the same.

There is no vast government conspiracy to "restrict" ammunition. That's ridiculous. If you want the culprits go to Wal-Mart and confront them. You'll know who they are. They're in their 70's, and are spending a third of their Social Security on .22 ammo, because they believe the black helicopters are circling overhead.... Or soon will be. And they want to be able to trade bullets and silver for beans, or some such nonsense. In the meantime some poor kid who got a new .22 for Christmas, won't be able to shoot it as much as he would like. Simply because you've got too many grown adults acting like imbeciles.

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid!
I come from a place where they did take everything away.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some numbers on 22 gun sales over the last few years. I'd guess they have been down. Lack of available ammo, and no real 'high capacity' pistols to 'buy while you can' must have a market effect.

I guess the ruger 10/22 has higher than ten round magazines available, so may be some long arms have keep up with the average market?

I have not seen much 22lr around here at all in the last few years. Matter of fact, looks like my local Walmart has actually removed the shelf space in the locked ammo display. Allows them more room to stock center fire boxes, which seem to be mostly stocked.

I have been wondering when the 22lr would finally catch up to market demand. Before this thread came up, I was thinking I should talk to friend of mine who spends more time on gun forums than I do anymore. Have a few hundred rounds, but I'm not in the hoarder crowd.

I remember when CCI mini mags were $4-5 a box (100). I'm not paying $20 for a box of them, period. Those big cheap bricks were $8 and I would stick my nose up at the 'cheap bulk stuff'...

The guy at Walmart told me they get a big shipment of .22 shells in every Wednesday. I bunch of guys show up to buy them. Couple of them own local gun stores and they are Flea marketers. He told me they limit them to two boxes each and they bring their employees wives etc. to buy more. he said they actually get hostile if new people show up. kinda of surprised me. I dont need any ammo, I am a hoarder from when they were a buck a box. Ill never shoot up the ammo I have. I hope people like that get stuck with al that ammo. I work with a large construction company. the superintendent said he buys the blanks they use in the nail guns. They are nothing more than brass crimped rim fires. He said they haven't gone up since the 90s. He buys them by the truckload pallet. No problem. I hope we get a gun friendly president that opens trade with Putin. I can tell you from when I was a federal firearms deals in the late 80s. We need the Russian ammo to pour in, you will see the prices drop. i never had issues with the Russian ammo either, like the Thunderbolts.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
. We need the Russian ammo to pour in, you will see the prices drop. i never had issues with the Russian ammo either, like the Thunderbolts.
We have a gun-friendly president...ask anyone in the gun/ammo sales and manufacturing sector. Tulammo is terrible.

Last edited:
Tulammo also distributes a number of different products, though they may not be made in Russia. Tulammo, for example, distributes Perfecta, which is made in Italy (presumably by Fiocchi).

I had some Russian steel case Tulammo that I bought last summer that I've finally shot through now. Indeed, I don't see it on Walmart's shelves anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back