Short trip OCI's on 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what is an acceptable OCI on my girlfriend's 03 Honda Accord. It has the 2.4 4-cyl, and is at 105K on the odometer now. She started a new job a few months ago, which is 4 miles one way from her house, 5 days a week. Grocery store, church, Blockbuster Video, and just about all the other places she goes are within that 4 mile radius too. It's a stop and go trip with half a dozen redlights along the way, in the Florida heat.

I searched but can really find anything about it here. I have read before that on short trips like that it's best to change oil more frequently, but at what mileage interval? I have been using Napa brand 5W20 and a ProSelect filter. Honda calls for 5W20 on the 2.4. I appreciate any ideas you have.

Dino = 5K Syn = 8K Do a UOA if you want to go further...

The heat in Florida actually helps you!

Doesn't matter what brand of oil, whatever SM/GF-4 you can find cheap!

IMO.

Last edited:
Ditto to Stevie - 5k on any SM/GF-4 dino; I'd say 10k on any syn.

Honda 2.4's are very, very 'easy' on oil!

No maintenance minder on the 03?

Based on mine, I'd say 5000 is a short but easy to remember oci. I'd probably go 7500 myself. That's still shorter than I've ever seen the MM go to 0%. 7500 is what I do, and I'm about 50/50 city highway. I don't want to go 10,000, and I need an easy-to-remember interval.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Ditto to Stevie - 5k on any SM/GF-4 dino; I'd say 10k on any syn.

Honda 2.4's are very, very 'easy' on oil!
If they are easy on oil then I second addyguy's recommendations.
thumbsup2.gif

"Doesn't matter what brand of oil, whatever SM/GF-4 you can find cheap!"

That's for sure. Honda specs a 10,000 mile OCI, or the MM which could be even longer, and then rebrands Exxon Superflo as the oil to do it on.

Don't get me wrong, my baby gets only the finest Syn's from WalMart... but probably doesn't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back