Short trip/low annual mileage oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, looking for advice on oil for my 2011 Sierra with the 5.3L V8. I have just over 60K miles on the odometer. It does mostly 6 mile one way side street commutes to work. So about 4K miles per year. No towing or hauling. In the summer I ride, so it sees less time on the road. When I do drive it, my driving style is, um, spirited, so to speak. I had been doing annual oil changes using M1 5W30 per specs, but my UOA came back showing slightly high aluminum, iron, and copper levels. Viscosity was low (8.69), flashpoint was low (355), and fuel dilution was 1%.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm getting to the point where it is hard to climb under and wrench on my vehicles. The days of grabbing a jug and filter at Wal-Mart are almost gone. I'll be taking them to have someone else change the oil.
frown.gif
What is a decent oil, that is readily available, and should I go to twice a year OCI, or stay with annual? Winters in eastern WA are fairly cold (single digits to below zero) and summers are hot. To me, 60K is not considered high mileage, but is it time to switch to a HM oil? I have zero leaks, and zero consumption, by the way.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Well I do just about the same in my Ram, maybe ~6000 miles per year, it's short tripped a lot. I change mine twice a year, in November to run the winter months and in May to run the Summer. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Mopar filter. I believe the synthetic can withstand the short tripping much better than a conventional. Still, getting it out from time to time to let her stretch her legs and get nice and hot helps as well. Some may say that I'm wasting a little money doing this, but it's cheap insurance in my mind. I wouldn't worry about switching to a HM oil either, just stick with what's been working.

Last edited:
With that usage and fuel dilution I'd go with Castrol 0w40. 4K miles a year would be a breeze and the extra viscosity would mitigate the fuel dilution. My ‘11 Ecoboost could run any 5w30 through the wringer but the Castrol 0w40 held up well. As far as cold weather goes it has a pour point in the -40s somewhere. Just MHO.

For the price of one UOA you can just about take it in to Valvoline and get it changed a second time in a year. Running a higher vis and/orhanging out your oil more frequently, not less, is the best defense for fuel dilution and short tripping IMO. Any good Valvoline 5w30 should do you for where you're at. And Valvoline Instant oil change ctrs are always sending out coupons in my area. Sign up for their email coupons.

(I'm in W. Washington; you Cougs or Huskies??)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bigdawg74
Benny, you run 5w20 year round? I would have thought that 5.7 would take 5w30.

Nope, it calls for 5w20. I know, it seems weird to run skeeter pee in a antiquated push rod V8, but that's what it calls for, so that's what it gets. 8 years later and only 39,800 miles and it still sounds and runs fine.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
For the price of one UOA you can just about take it in to Valvoline and get it changed a second time in a year. Changing out your oil more frequently, not less, is the best defense for fuel dilution and short tripping IMO. Any good Valvoline 5w30 should do you for where you're at. And Valvoline Instant oil change ctrs are always sending out coupons in my area. Sign up for their email coupons.

I've never been a big fan of Valvoline, but I suppose I could give it a try. Always been a Mobil1 or Pennzoil or QS user. And I moved over here from the west side 3 years ago. It's hard being a Dawg fan in Cougar territory...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
For the price of one UOA you can just about take it in to Valvoline and get it changed a second time in a year. Changing out your oil more frequently, not less, is the best defense for fuel dilution and short tripping IMO. Any good Valvoline 5w30 should do you for where you're at. And Valvoline Instant oil change ctrs are always sending out coupons in my area. Sign up for their email coupons.

I've never been a big fan of Valvoline, but I suppose I could give it a try. Always been a Mobil1 or Pennzoil or QS user. And I moved over here from the west side 3 years ago. It's hard being a Dawg fan in Cougar territory...

Pennzoil and QS were the two oils I grew up using, they're solid no doubt about it. But Valvoline makes some good stuff as well. I just thought since it might be getting harder for ya these days (not far behind myself) the Valvoline shop would be a good option with good oils. You might still consider bringing your own filter unless you're ok with the house brand.

And yeah, you're in Coug' territory now...best to keep being a Dawg on the DL come Fall! ...‚ It's funny, I went to EWU in Cheney but I've always been a Huskies fan

Last edited:
Is there a Pepboys around?
They always have coupons online, usually its Pennzoil or Quaker State and a Champion Filter.

You can order the oil from Walmart then bring it to the one you trust to change. There is a Goodyear that I trust when my back is not doing well and they charge me 20.00. I do short trips and the oil I have in it now is Havoline ProDs 5w20 for 19.95 at Walmart ordered and I pick it up when we get groceries.

The easiest thing to do here is to take it out on a 10-15 mile drive once a month. This will burn off all the fuel in the oil from the short tripping and your problem should go away.

The important part is to do it regularly because the ongoing dilution is what is most likely impacting you iron/aluminum/copper numbers.

This is an easy fix.
cheers3.gif

Similar use to my car - 3km to work, and the odd trip to the city. A3/B4....lifetime fill, it's never getting another oil change.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Well I do just about the same in my Ram, maybe ~6000 miles per year, it's short tripped a lot. I change mine twice a year, in November to run the winter months and in May to run the Summer. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Mopar filter. I believe the synthetic can withstand the short tripping much better than a conventional. Still, getting it out from time to time to let her stretch her legs and get nice and hot helps as well. Some may say that I'm wasting a little money doing this, but it's cheap insurance in my mind. I wouldn't worry about switching to a HM oil either, just stick with what's been working.

Close to this ^^^^^^^^^^ but mainly use the oil suggested by double vanos.

Only switcheroo I would make is straight 0W40 Castrol from April to November, but add a little thinner oil for November to April.
In my Colorado, I'm using 0W40 Castrol Edge currently. But I bought two quarts of Mobil-1 0W20 to use in the winter months.
For my engine that holds six quarts, I plan on.....
Four quarts of Castrol Edge 0W40
Two quarts of Mobil-1 0W20.

I've been blending oils for over 30 years and 1st & last owner of my vehicles. They go to the junkyard 18 years later badly rusted and the engines always still run great and do not smoke

What is a decent oil, that is readily available, and should I go to twice a year OCI.

Whatever oil comes out of the bulk tank at the local $19.99 oil change shop.

Twice a year is good.

Originally Posted by Imp4
The easiest thing to do here is to take it out on a 10-15 mile drive once a month. This will burn off all the fuel in the oil from the short tripping and your problem should go away.

The important part is to do it regularly because the ongoing dilution is what is most likely impacting you iron/aluminum/copper numbers.

This is an easy fix.
cheers3.gif

This!

You say you drive "spirited", but only 4-6 miles? You have to drive gently till the oil is warmed up, 4-6 miles won't accomplish that. I won't drive aggressively until my oil is at least 100 C.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
I won't drive aggressively until my oil is at least 100 C.

That's 212*F - - my oil NEVER gets that hot unless I am towing a trailer.

first off many oil caps say 5-20 but the owners manual notes 5-30 or 10-30 as approved depending on your climate. thats what girlfriends recently purchased 2.4 kia optima says + SN or better! my aunts 4.0 99 cherokee sees almost all short trips + only 2 to 3 thou in 6 months when i change oil + filter with synthetic 5-30 oil, cheap insurance as she don't want a different vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back