Short Synthetic Runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
what kind of driving profile do you have? how much oil loss/consumption?

JMH

Driving profile? I drive a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire (first car) - Drive about 5,000 miles a month to work (220 miles a day - working 3 days a week now due to school but usually work all 5).

My car uses about .3 quarts every 3,000 miles at most - usually no consumption at all.

YAY KJA426 - Another 3k synthetic guy
smile.gif
cheers.gif
Yeah, I hear you. I know I can go longer - I just like keeping them short!

wow... given your driving profile, you could do 7500mi DINO runs, no problem... Id consider using M1 EP and running it full length, youd surely do fine!

But its your $$$, and you can shorten up as much as you want
smile.gif
I hear you about hving fun changing oil... Id think that with a 220 mile a day commute, however, that youd have other things to think about when youre at home... heck, I got sick of my 35 mile 1.25hr commute!

JMH

5K a month! Holy Hemmorhoids Batman!

I'd go 10k per change. Even then it would be conservative IMO.

I'll raise you JHZR2! I'd go for at least 4 months (15k) ...maybe 5 months. Unless you've got mechanical issues there's no reason for any more often. Perhaps a different oil ..but not any more often.

It's a shame you're not a neighbor. Your drain oil would have some value in a beater. It should still look clean.

Just so you guys know - I started to feel the $$$ leak out of my bank so it is my goal to go 10,000 miles on this oil fill. Just so hard passing that 3,000 mile mark and not change the oil after doing it for 2 years
grin.gif

OK, breathe deeply, close your eyes- now tell yourself,"It *can* go 5K, it *Can* go 5K, it *CAN* go *5K*!"
grin.gif

Personally, I was relieved years ago to learn I could stop all the 3K nonsense- changing any more often than once a month is a PITA, I thought. Every 2 or 3 months was much more reasonable. (At the time I was driving 750 to 1000 miles a week- changing oil every 3 to 4 weeks got old fast!) I was nervous about it though, just like you are now. So I worked into it slowly, but kept on going. Heck, I even ran BobZoil once for over 15,000 miles!
cool.gif

So, my advice is to shoot for that one month/5,000 mile mark, & *then* change your oil. If you can't stand 5K all at once, go for 4K the first time. Try that, & then slowly extend it by 1000 miles at a time if you like. Sure seems a shame to drain that nice synthetic oil with only 3K on it! My plan, after doing a double A-Rx dose, is to cut back to conventional bargain priced oil & change every 5K or so. If I can run Havoline or Formula Shell for 5K, surely you can run that lovely synthetic for 5K or 6K!
cheers.gif

EDIT: OK, you're committed to try 10K? Much better, at 5000 miles/month it should be very easy on the oil. Now tell yourself,"It *can* go 10K,..."
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

It's a shame you're not a neighbor. Your drain oil would have some value in a beater. It should still look clean.

Hey mate - I understand 100%.
cheers.gif
I couldn't stand throwing this stuff away either. This oil runs for a good 5-10k in a 2001 Ford Focus that my dad drives. It gets good use. I just fill back up the quarts with my drained oil and give it to my dad and he runs the oil in his cars.
grin.gif
I am slowly converting
tongue.gif

Good show!!
cheers.gif
I just wish you lived nearby
grin.gif

Your probably getting more out of that quart of synth then most do with your father using it
dunno.gif

You never considered yourself so "green", did you?

Well, on the way home from work tonight I pass the 3,000 mile mark for the first time. I think I can keep myself from changing the oil... I've pinned up my VOAs... I mean UOAs from my last 3 3,000 mile UOAs as a reminder that I can go more than 3k on synthetic oil! Already I'm starting to get nervous...
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif

It just feels wrong!
frown.gif
It doens't help that changing oil is so much fun
tongue.gif
I've never let any oil (Amsoil, GC, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP) go past 3,000 miles intentionally. (Wanting the best for my car).

What is the shortest I could go on synthetic oil (GC, Amsoil 5w30 HDD, etc...)??? All comments welcome! Feel free to relay experiences
grin.gif

-Paul
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back