Shopping season is here, but:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask all the members of BITOG to stop and think about what a joke that Christmas consumerism has become, with people trampling others to death just to get their greasy hands on some poorly made Chinese junk and looking like idiots by pitching a tent in front of a big box store for 2 days.

Keep in mind that many of the "door buster" electronics deals are specially made by companies to a lower spec just to be able to mark the price so low. I.e., a 300 dollar Sony TV at Wal-Mart is a Sony in name only, made with the cheapest (non Sony manufactured) parts. This year especially, profits are slim as and so are inventories, so the best deals will probably be hard to get your hands on, if that's your thing.

But that's all fluff, really. Buying all of the Chinese made junk only racks up more of a trade deficit and more consumer debt. That giant sucking sound? That's all of our dollars and manufacturing jobs. And what do we get in return? Tainted drywall, lead filled toys, killer pet food, and poisoned toothpaste. Pretty soon we'll all be working at Wal-Mart, since the American appetite for this garbage never seems to slow down.

So what I ask of you all is to stop and think about the true meaning of the holidays, and what a crass and ridiculous spectacle it has become. Especially in this time of high American unemployment, do your part to support American jobs. Buy American made goods and shop at local businesses that pay a decent wage and put money back into the community.

Nobody wants another junky $20 dollar DVD player or a knock-off Ipod anyway.

Happy freakin' holidaze.

You know, the real ipods are made in china, too. They just cost more than the fake ones. And so are the $150 DVD players, they just cost more.

You're on the right track, though.

Oh, I fully realize that. But the "good" electronics are never part of the door buster deals. Just the super generic stuff. That's why waiting in line is even more futile. "I will wait outside in the cold for hours just to acquire the junkiest TV that you can legally sell me"

I also realize that the US does not manufacture electronics anymore. But we are awash in this junk. Why support the broken system even more if you don't need to?

Showing someone you care is a 365.24 day/year job and has little to do with electronics. I agree with the OP general sentiment.

Last edited:
I wish more people and more companies would "buy american"! I always try to! of course, I wont be buying much of anything since my wife just got "laid off" and I have only had part time contract work since I got cut two years ago.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Showing someone you care is a 365.24 day/year job and has little to do with electronics. I agree with the OP general sentiment.

Problem is we lead ever more isolated lives, with much of our communication coming on an impersonal level, like texts or Facebook. People's relationships are broken down into a newsfeed of short blurbs. And too many people these days seem to think giving someone a token piece of junk once a year really shows how much they care.

I'm not a Grinch either, I love Christmas. I just want to see people give gifts that are meaningful, lasting, and not made by someone who gets paid slave wages.

This year I made a donation to the local animal shelter and the people I care about will get old fashioned cookies, candy and fruitcake. I feel that with people so busy they might like home made treats. I guess that may sound cheap but I think our little furry friends really need help and they give so much love. They can not ask for help but give so much.

It's true, with people out of work pets are often neglected. I've seen plenty of it in my former job. It's a shame.

And the gift ideas sound good. I really don't need more stuff, but I can always use something tasty to eat!

Originally Posted By: hr1940
This year I made a donation to the local animal shelter and the people I care about will get old fashioned cookies, candy and fruitcake. I feel that with people so busy they might like home made treats. I guess that may sound cheap but I think our little furry friends really need help and they give so much love. They can not ask for help but give so much.

BINGO! That's what I am giving to all my employees - animal shelter donations. Great idea.

Last year my family gave a family in Africa two goats on my behalf, using the argument that I always say that I want for nothing that I can't provide myself.

Took me at my word, and brought me to tears.

Well, my long time friends will probably get fruit and chocolate. Stuff they never seem to have around when I visit ..but enjoy when I show up with it.

..and the rest is trying to get together and share some time.

The wife and I may go to WM as spectators. We haven't done that for a few years. We don't go to buy anything. We just catch the spectacle.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Last year my family gave a family in Africa two goats on my behalf, using the argument that I always say that I want for nothing that I can't provide myself.

Took me at my word, and brought me to tears.

yes that is a gift worth giving. we do not need anything we don't have so this year we will be givnig a goat and a pig. or some form of water treatment. who did you do it through. i see CARE australia has gifts like these.

most people who HDTVs wouldn't even know the scam
frown.gif
a contrast ratio of 15,000 vs 30,000 doesn't mean squat to most of them, and they're not picky enough to notice it - so no matter how stupid these scams are, there will always be stupid people who never know that they're getting a "black friday special" watered down version of the model they're really wanting ... perhaps one suffix in model code is different...

You also have to take into account that a lot of these door buster sales are to just lure people into the store.

They will actually use a good product, save a Sony TV and market about 4 of them down to a low price(I used to be in retail). Those 4 were sold at about 50-60% mark down, people would go in a frenzy, get into the store, those 4 are sold. Come later in the day the other TV's are put out at normal to slightly higher price.

It's been done to death. I like Black Friday AM shopping(12AM right after Thanksgiving) only because its an experience, to see literally an army of people raiding shops. I myself don't go into a frenzy, I actually go and pick up some winter duds for myself as I don't celebrate Christmas or Hanakuh. So I make it, and have the patience to deal with it.

I've seen fights break out and the ugly nature of humans, and also on Black Friday I've seen the good in people. Other customers giving out coupons, helping each other etc. But I do agree that Christmas is not what it should be for you all(I don't celebrate it so don't take offense to "you all").

It was basically a means of coming together and being with family as families tend to drift apart whether it be by distance, or some other reason. We have 2 holidays and we celebrate by having a big feast, having people over. Gifts and money aren't really what its about, its about being a family. Consumerism and Capitalism have tainted and continue to taint most holidays. Its a way to boost revenue.

Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, St. Patties day. There is a holiday in every month of the year, and all are tied to marketing and sales events.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
+1

I have a small family and we were never really good American consumers so I don't get the whole Christmas spending frenzy thing.

In some Christian cultures Christmas has no more fanfare than families getting together over dinner and spending quality time with each other... and sometimes bring a modest gift for the child.

In our family it's also a time to celebrate my mother's birthday (Dec 25).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back