Shopping in the USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a 5 day vacation in beautiful southern Maine and NH.

I nearly busted my $200. allowed limit with this;

-

-

-

-The 10 Toyota 90915-YZZF1 were $43.30 US tax incl at Toyota-Scion of Portsmouth NH. Dealers in Canada ask $7. ea + 15% tax. Made in Thailand.

-At the Wally World of Biddeford ME, I bought the 2 Fram air filter CA9482 for her Matrix and my Corolla. $10.46 US ea. Nor Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire carry them in my area and dealers ask about $20. per. They have 18 pleats vs 15 for the OEM and have a nice black rubber gasket surrounding the element. Made in Korea.

Also at Wally, the 2 FL820S for only $3.28 US ea. Dealers ask $9.-10. per overhere.

-And finally, the 10 VW TDI oil filters were purchased at Clair Saco VW in Biddeford for $78.02 US tax incl. OEM filters made in Germany. Dealers ask about $15. per overhere.

Minou looks plenty happy with dad's purchases!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I gotta post pictures of my nasty cat.

Score! Considering the weakness of our peso vs. your (former) peso.

Lastly, do me a huge favor? Take a close picture or three of the VW TDI cartridge.

Thanks!

Sorry but too late Pablo. The TDI filters and FL820S are for my brother's vehicles and I brought them over for him yesterday.

I actually paid $1.1185 for my US $$ when our former Peso peaked at 91 cents US 2 weeks ago.

My savings were in the 40-45%+ range considering the exchange rate and the States sales tax of only 5 or 6% vs 15% for the combined GST and PST we pay overhere.

Other things I looked at, digi cams and ghetto blasters are cheaper by a similar % and even cars are becoming cheaper, sometimes by a big margin, south of the border.

Pieces like this are now starting to appear in the mass media;
http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060626.wsuvdiscussion0627/GIStory/

[ June 26, 2006, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Minou ]

Thanks for supporting my local economy!

Hope you spent some time at our lovely bilingual Old Orchard Beach.
grin.gif
canada.gif

What's funny is we don't sell new VW TDIs in Maine as we're part of that hippy California/Northeast Emissions zone. But our VW dealer stocks TD parts.

And you know, you could have installed an air filter here and tossed the old one... then you'd have room/budget to bring another one over the border.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
1- Thanks for supporting my local economy!

2- Hope you spent some time at our lovely bilingual Old Orchard Beach.
grin.gif
canada.gif

3- What's funny is we don't sell new VW TDIs in Maine as we're part of that hippy California/Northeast Emissions zone. But our VW dealer stocks TD parts.

And you know, you could have installed an air filter here and tossed the old one... then you'd have room/budget to bring another one over the border.
wink.gif

1- Expect to see lots of Los Tabarnacos supporting your economy this summer.

2- Just drove through Old Orchard on the day we went at the VW dealer in Saco which was very close to our hotel. We mostly hung around Ogunquit to meet the inlaws vacationning overthere.

3- Yeah, I was a bit surprised that they carried the TDI filters. My guess is that the same part fits the older TD's. We traveled in her '06 Matrix XR, so fitting a TDI filter was out of the question! These are for my brother's 04 Golf TDI and his wife '00 Jetta TDI. His '04 already has 85000 km on the clock
burnout.gif

See you next year!
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Didn't know that NH had no sales tax.
dunno.gif

Man, that's too good to be true.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:

What's funny is we don't sell new VW TDIs in Maine as we're part of that hippy California/Northeast Emissions zone. But our VW dealer stocks TD parts.

Same here, when we had our `04 Jetta TDI wagon I was able to get the 505.01 oil, oil/fuel filters, etc. for it at the local VW dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Just think, I used to drive north for the bargins! Stuff in Canada now looks real expensive.

Yeah, we found that out on a recent pass through Toronto...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back