Shopping for a new Syn Blend 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is our 2012 KIA Sedona with the 3.5 Hyundai "Lambda II" v6. I have been using the Castrol Dexos Synblend 5w30 for the last two OCI's and really liked it. Just did a UOA on it as well and was satisfied but that oil is apparently going away and I was not fortunate enough to grab up the AZ deals on it.

Due to fairly short OCI's to maintain warranty as well as personal preference I am looking for a new Synblend to run in this vehicle at about 4-5k OCI's.

Top contenders at the moment: Pennzoil Dexos synblend 5w30, the new Castrol Magnetec in 5w30 and Trop Artic. I can't decide just yet.

I've long been a big fan of Maxlife but I understand it's noisy in this engine which I believe as it's also very noisy in my Jeep. Works well in our other vehicles though.

Long shots also on the table, Valvoline WB, PYB, Pennzoil Platinum, ST full syn and QSUD. Anyway I'm still kicking a lot of stuff around.

What say you? Suggestions, comments, experiences with any of those in this particular engine?

My head tells me the Pennzoil Synblend is the way to go, but the Magnetec is tasking me.

Thanks!

Why a Syn blend?

I think Super Tech would fit this application perfectly. With the short 4-5K OCI you can't beat a $17 jug of a full synthetic. Certainly better than going the PYB route, especially this time of year.

i have that 3.5 engine in two 2011 santa fes and they are very very noisy at first start up in the morning with any oil i tried but they run very very well. The oil cap says to use 5w20 and am not sure if pennzoil syn blend comes in that weight. Is your 3.5 noisy at startup also?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Union 76 Synthetic Blend
Merk I thought you liked Super Tech Synthetic?

When it comes to Merkava his full time job is
Trolling.gif
on BITOG. I do love his sarcastic humor though!

If your engine calls for 5W20 try Motorcraft (Ford) blend.

If it calls for 5W30 try Mobil 1 full synthetic.

It seems quite a few guys like either.

Wal*Mart (usually the best price) and most auto stores stock both.

Last edited:
Walmart...

Quaker State Synthetic Blend 5W-30 / $16.xx
Pennzoil Dexos Synthetic Blend 5W-30 / $18.×× (on their website perf chart, shows as blended with 'PurePlus technology').

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
Why a Syn blend?

I think Super Tech would fit this application perfectly. With the short 4-5K OCI you can't beat a $17 jug of a full synthetic. Certainly better than going the PYB route, especially this time of year.

+1 I've used ST for years with good results.

You can't go wrong with any of the oil suggestions already mentioned.

I would like to say that you shouldn't consider the MAXLIFE at all. You have a fairly new car and I wouldn't want a High Mileage oil in there swelling seals and all well before necessary.

plenty on the shelf to pick from, good luck pondering over OCD nonsense.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Exactly LOL they will all work fine. This is however a BITOG'ers definition of fun, oh my I need a new oil! Ha ha.

I want a synblend or better, just my preference. Leaning hard on the value of a synblend just due to the fairly short OCI's due to short trips and warranty.

I actually pondered Motorcraft hard but I want a 5w30 and the 5w30 is not available in jugs. I won't pay quart prices for it. With our hard short tripping the KIA is shearing oil pretty good, and I found a bunch of Motorcraft 5w20 UOA's that had it sheared into 6-something cst@100. Zikes! No thanks. Wear was good but I won't sleep at night with that going on in my head lol.

The Quaker Stated dexos blend seems like a great choice but there is virtually no information on it here or elsewhere. I am concerned it will disappear from shelves as a result of apparent low sales and I want to pick something and stick with it.

One of the reasons I was using the Castrol is it had a boron heavy add pack, good for a short tripper. Motorcraft, Trop Artic and I'd bet the Quaker State dexos do too, as does SuperTech full syn.

Now that Ford is spec'ing 5w30 again for it's Ecoboost engines has anyone seen Motorcraft 5w30 in a jug?

Run the Magnatec. It should be a similar formulation if not the same formulation as the GTX Synblend. I bet you wouldn't even notice a difference.

Pennzoil Gold 10w30

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_Gold_10W-30_Synthetic_Blend_Motor_Oil_%28SN_GF-5%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

Last edited:
After seeing that is shears 20 grades down, I agree with you wanting at least a syn blend 5w30. Seems like you really want to try Castrol. Go for it my friend! (easier said that done i know.
laugh.gif
)

I say Trop Artic. Seems pretty easy in your region to buy on sale. If you need something in a pinch, the Pennzoil Dexos blend should work wonders. (I am still curious of this products moly content.)

If you really want to play around, run a quality synthetic and pull a sample for a UOA. Perhaps you can squeeze a bit more life out of a quality synthetic thus making an oil change a bit more cost effective.

*I know this wasnt on your prefered list, (the synthetic at least) but AAP is having some pretty decent Valvoline deals. From VWB all the way to Synpower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

OCD nonsense? Last I checked this was an oil forum. Ya know, for oil questions. Nearly every oil question is nonsense as 99% of the oil sold in stores will work perfectly for 99% of the population in 99% of their applications. Don't belittle people just because you're apparently above the opinion of others, which is exactly why BITOG exists.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Trop Artic! If you have an Orschlern farm store close it is on sale for 1.79 a qt there. You could go pick up several cases to last you for years for very cheap.

Ah, for the 2004-2005 days when Dollar Tree carried Trop Artic . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back