Shop rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy this in your local department store
shocked.gif

Otherwise - it is so true
grin.gif

20190327_181118.jpg

LOL, that must be from the 70's, labor rates have not been that cheap since I have been working on vehicles.

eta; In the mid eighties I saw labor rates at a Porsche dealer at $130.00 per hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
We are $90/ hr. Most independent shops are $65-$80. Pep boys and Firestone are $115.

I dug up some bills from repair I had done in the past 1-2 years. A local shop that is a town favorite charges $70/hour. One near my work that I've used charges $86/hour.

Wait till someone post's currant rates from a Porsche or MBZ dealer, its going to be close to $200.00 for the MBZ, over $200.00 for Porsche.

Some of you Indie's have some pretty humble rates! They are a lot higher than my body shop rates were, but sometimes I could flag 3 hours for 1, sometimes not.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Wait till someone post's currant rates from a Porsche or MBZ dealer, its going to be close to $200.00 for the MBZ, over $200.00 for Porsche.

Some of you Indie's have some pretty humble rates! They are a lot higher than my body shop rates were, but sometimes I could flag 3 hours for 1, sometimes not.

someones gotta pay for that free espresso and nice lounge

Who would have guessed we would see the day when the services of car mechanics would put the earning power of the average lawyer to shame? Then again if you think about it, it has to be an easier task to keep a criminal out of jail, than it is to change the oil on a Porsche. (And yeah, I know the mechanic doesn't get that. But the customer has to pay it, so it doesn't matter to him or his checkbook.)

"According to the United States Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median wage for an attorney as of May 2016 was $118,160....... This breaks down to a median hourly wage of $56.81 per hour."

https://work.chron.com/much-lawyer-make-hour-24397.html

" In general, hourly rates will vary between $150-500 per hour."

http://blog.lawkick.com/how-much-lawyers-cost/

That's still under Porsche territory.

Local: VW is $98/hr, BMW $137/hr Mercedes $145/hr, Porsche $155/hr

Next question.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Next question.

Those rates are affordable for those German vehicles.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

someones gotta pay for that free espresso and nice lounge

Don't forget the "free" WiFi and Dish Network.

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Chris142
We are $90/ hr. Most independent shops are $65-$80. Pep boys and Firestone are $115.

I dug up some bills from repair I had done in the past 1-2 years. A local shop that is a town favorite charges $70/hour. One near my work that I've used charges $86/hour.

Ohio...meet California.
grin2.gif

Shop rates are like housing prices in that it's highly dependent upon the local market.

Last edited:
My mechanic, who now charges $105/hour, says he used to make more money when his labor was $35/hour, because of tax increases. Even allowing some room for exaggeration, it is an interesting point. And he does charge book time.

At any rate, I can't say I"m happy paying that much, but I have to say I don't mind the rate itself, because even though it's probably slightly higher than average for my community, I have only had to return the car once for something he worked on in the 15-20 years and 4 cars I've taken to him (2 starters on the Sienna went out prematurely, one within warranty period so it was free). He has returned my cars with no diagnostic charge--multiple times, he said the brake noise meant nothing and my breaks had 40-60% more life in them. Someone who is honest & competent will save me money in the long run, regardless of their labor rate.

Last edited:
My indy is at $95/hour, but he discounts the sales tax if paid in cash. My local dealer is at $130/hour plus 8% sales tax. Ouch! I think most of the dealers by me are about $130 or so per hour.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
My indy is at $95/hour, but he discounts the sales tax if paid in cash. My local dealer is at $130/hour plus 8% sales tax. Ouch! I think most of the dealers by me are about $130 or so per hour.

$140/hr here. Labor is not taxed in California......yet.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Next question.

I called a Porsche dealer in Orange county Ca. $199.00 per hr. I know for a fact some of the MBZ dealers are above $200.00, I'm surprised the Porsche dealer was below $200.00!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back