Shop installed wrong filter on 1998 Mustang GT

During the trip ( 10 hours drive ) to visit my little brother . I was checking his mustang 1998 GT 4.6 200k+ miles . Anyway I check his oil before I travel back . I saw the filter little smaller . It’s service champ Wph48 .

anyway his 2015 Nissan Frontier Sv 4 doors will arrived next week . I might take the mustang back to Texas lol .
FCD6E5EE-025E-4979-BAE0-5D345854D672.jpeg

Looks like that filter is for select General Motors vehicles. Two choices: take ithe car back for the correct filter or buy the correct one and install it yourself. Either way, I wouldn't go for long with the incorrect filter in place. Probably takes a Motorcraft 820S or equiv.

Last edited:
That filter actually has more than 1 number (look for pictures on e-bay)

Yes crosses to PF48 (which is the wrong filter for a Mustang) and Fram PH10060 (also wrong filter).

Probably a case of filter consolidation at the quick lube, but I'd stick the right filter on it.

Is there something that makes the filter unsafe to use? A wrong number filter may not make a bit of difference or be destructive. What would be the major thing to look for . is if there is a bypass in the filter . An engine with a block mounted by pass can either use a filter with or with out a bypass. An engine block with out a block mounted bypass requires a filter element with a bypass as a necessity.

Last edited:
It's a quick lube generic equivelent or something. It'll be fine (y) Most quick lubes use Mighty brand filters, never heard of any probs with them. A long time very respected member here once posted that the oil is the most important part, and that the filter is just along for the ride.

Back