Shop fee on carry in trailer tires

shop fee seems to be auto generated by the invoice program these days. Seems to be a percentage of the bill. you get charged regaurdless if they used anything or not. its like a resort fee. once someone started charging it and no one complained, everyone decided to do is also.

Just a little industry secret guys when I was a field appraiser we never ever automatically put shop supplies on our estimates. I would allow 5 or 10 bucks max if the shop requested it. Most shops would not argue about it.

Why'd you pay for balancing? Are your hub holes even guaranteed to be on-center?

Why'd you pay for balancing? Are your hub holes even guaranteed to be on-center?

There are good odds on trailer wheels the hubs are not centered. Having said that, I have towed trailers with both balanced and non-balanced tires. Even without a hub centric balance the trailers tow smooth with a regular type balance.

On the tire side of where I work (I'm on the towing side) I know we do carry in tires all the time and differing what you want to do, we might charge either a mount fee or labor by the hour differing on what is cheaper.

Had a set mounted on my truck 4 new tires I had bought online, $88 bucks. Just a few years back I remember being able to buy 4 used tires for 80 bucks.

I know of a M/C dealer who used to install and balance tires bought from them, for free, if the wheels were off the bike. Now they charge $40.00 per tire for the same service. I don't know their full reasoning. Maybe they're just trying to survive an economy that's been decimated over the last year. Or maybe they're trying to make more money off each customer. I don't know.

Bottom line: Get an OTD quote for any potential service.

Most likely mail order tire prices killed their margin. To make enough margin to survive they have to make it on mounting.

Back