Shop fee on carry in trailer tires

I dropped off two loose trailer wheels to have Goodyear Endurance tires mounted and balanced yesterday at Tire Choice. A very simple transaction, mount two tires and balance them, no valves stems, roll them out to the door and I would pick them up when I get off work. To my surprise they charged me a shop fee. No paper floor mat, no steering wheel cover, am I paying for wear and tear on the tire machine, wear and tear on the balancer? Cant possibly be the cost of lead, the 6.00 for balancing pays for that. I have never paid a shop fee for carry out, what gives? And yes, I purchased tires they supplied.

Maybe the tire mounting lube they put on the bead? Surely not $6 worth, but I don't think most shops have any intention of providing a breakdown of their margin-padding fees.

Maybe the tire mounting lube they put on the bead? Surely not $6 worth, but I don't think most shops have any intention of providing a breakdown of their margin-padding fees.
Thought of that but a trailer tire would not require bead lube, the sidewalls are flexible enough not to need it. I was a tire tech out of high school and the less bending over for the bead lube the better. The 6 dollars was the cost of balancing so I figured that pays for the lead wheel weights.

Reminds me of "Fuel Surcharge Fee's." They started when diesel was around $5 a gallon and even when the price of diesel dropped to around $2.25 or so the surcharge was NEVER lifted. Example of business imitating government taxes. My favorite is toll rods where the initial tolls were s old to us by saying it's only to pay for the initial cost of the roads.....we all know that is total nonsense.

They question should have been when dropping off the tires-

What is the TOTAL cost of mounting and balancing theses tires? I am assuming you had metal valve stems, since you didn't require them to install new ones?

First you ALWAYS need bead lube. Over the long haul, you can't mount tires evenly and without damage without lube.

$6.00 for mounting? There's your answer. Most shops charge at least $12.00 - and I've seen $20.00!
Yep, just had two ST235 60R14’s mounted and balanced for $36 at our Goodyear …
I watched from behind the plastic chain and they slopped the lube on good …

First you ALWAYS need bead lube. Over the long haul, you can't mount tires evenly and without damage without lube.

$6.00 for mounting? There's your answer. Most shops charge at least $12.00 - and I've seen $20.00!

Lets clarify, 6 dollars each to mount, 6 dollars each to balance, 126.99 per tire, plus sales tax,1 dollar state tax per tire, no disposal fee since I took my old tires. I personally feel the shop fee was "profit", its that simple.
As far as the bead lube, we could debate that for sure.

Probably a generic charge they put on ALL invoices.
You're probably right, and unfortunately the shop fee is a small price to pay so I dont end up boiling mad after my last trailer tire carry out experience at walmart.

How much was the shop fee? Your bill was already $275+ dollars for this transaction.. Sounds more like you assumed what the cost would be and didn't ask.

Personally, I don't really care how the shop puts together their costs - I look at the total. How they get there and make their profit (which is not an evil thing) is their business...

Did you ask for a quote on Out the Door price?
Tire shop usually just put the tire you want into their system, then it display the OTD price?

Discount Tire even do it on their website.

I know of a M/C dealer who used to install and balance tires bought from them, for free, if the wheels were off the bike. Now they charge $40.00 per tire for the same service. I don't know their full reasoning. Maybe they're just trying to survive an economy that's been decimated over the last year. Or maybe they're trying to make more money off each customer. I don't know.

Bottom line: Get an OTD quote for any potential service.

235 60 14? thats an odd ST size
Yes it is

66F19A01-36C7-44A2-9130-B0FF30322ECD.jpeg
94055AE9-30BD-4CF9-A081-441E6A0956B1.jpeg
985FE742-3CF1-4F61-9ACD-24A520764383.jpeg

My local , and locally owned, tire shop that I buy most of my new and used tires from installs tires free. But they also have the best prices in the area. And they are very busy, but do great work, and don't need an appointment. Balancing is a charge, but I balance mine myself. $5 to rotate tires, and yes they do torque them.

All businesses charge for service, some have separate fees broken down that can vary depending on what is involved with your job. Others charge a flat fee for somewhat similar jobs that has a bunch of charges baked into the total that on average will be fair. They can do it however they want to is what happens. Not everyone will like how they are charged, and will possibly end up going to a different shop that charges differently.

Back