Shooting Range in Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Planning on installing a shooting range in my basement. It will use two basement walls and I will build a block wall to enclose the entire lane. The I.D dimensions will be 28' x'6 ' and added wall will be 6' 5" high. I will soundproof the walls and add rubber flooring to further absorb sound. There will be a hepa filter drawing air from the shooter to the target.(filter will be on outlet).

The shooting distance will be seven yards. I have a piece of mild steel 24" square,and 5/8" thick. It will be mounted downward at 45 degrees. The bullets will deflect downward into a 4' x 4' sand pit. Have a few details to work out.

Anyone do something like this or have some thoughts?

There seem to be resources available through google search. Seems like it will be costly and more complicated then you're anticipating.

No one is invited into my basement...lol. This room is officially a tornado safe room. But no permits.

The cost will be under $2000 in the worst case. But I'm 74 and take defensive shooting/training very seriously so really cost is not a factor.

I'd be worried about noise and splash back. It can be loud in enclosed spaces.

Not sure what kind of power level you are after. 22's and mild steel might be fine, not sure I'd want more than that in a basement range. I do like the effort into air filtration. I'm guessing you'll have some sort of backstop around it, in case of misses? Obviously you should not be making wild misses but it's one more thing to think about.

Good luck.

I realize PA is not NewYorkistan but there are some serious concerns that I don't see addressed. Foremost is lead exposure. Maybe that is a specific HEPA filter you have spec'd that I don't know about. I had to research retrofitting my departments 4 lane basement range and at the time (2005) the filtration system with an already established and useable chase to the rooftop for a 60ft depth x 24ft width x 8ft height was in excess of 100k alone. I say alone because it did not include a lead dust catcher. Realize you will also need to have a thorough cleaning of the lead catches and floor, ceiling, walls often. That lead dust gets everywhere. Make sure to have some form of lining on the ceiling especially for the possible stray round.

I realize I sound so negative on this but I do love the thought. It's just a hard one to legitimately pull off safely. I also love the self defense discipline. Interested to hear how your project progresses. Good luck and make it as safe as you can.

Side note, if it all works out and you are shooting in this way in your home I strongly suggest quarterly blood tests for you and those who live in the home just to be sure you can catch any exposure. The test can be done at a local dr pretty readily. As a firearms instructor we get them a few times a year. Just a blood draw.

We have an outdoor range on family property, so I think it's a great idea.

There was a detailed thread on this subject years ago on TheHighRoad. Look in the archives there and you can find a very detailed discussion about issues and solutions, along the lines of some of the things Biscuit brings up.

If you are going to be shooting lead, recognize the issues that this is going to pose, ventilation system or not...

Down the road, any buyer is likely going to require testing for lead in the premises... and unless everything has been done right, and maintained faithfully, and monitored to verify things are working right, they are going to find elevated lead somewhere...

I say that assuming you've already decided you can do this safely for yourself and anyone else living in the premises and can live with the potential for contamination.

And yes, there should be some lining or baffling on the ceiling for any accidental discharges.

There are alternatives to lead, but perhaps not acceptable or common for your use. I've switched to all copper for my deer rifle...

We may or may not have done some indoor shooting ranges. They quickly fill with smoke. In the end, they work well for 22’s

I’m interested in this as your storm shelter progresses. Please post pics. The ceiling would be my concern. Maybe street plate resting on top of the foundation and block wall you build? It would be extremely heavy and increase the cost over your budget but 1” steel is tough.

If you are going to be shooting lead, recognize the issues that this is going to pose, ventilation system or not...

Down the road, any buyer is likely going to require testing for lead in the premises... and unless everything has been done right, and maintained faithfully, and monitored to verify things are working right, they are going to find elevated lead somewhere...
Excellent point.

Like others have said here, you'll have to deal with accepted levels of lead allowed by the state or federal government, especially when you or your heirs sell the house. That could get expensive if the shooting room needs to be environmentally scrubbed. Or maybe you could just seal the room off with several cubic yards of concrete?

I worked for a Police Department, they contracted a company to bring a shooting range over and set it up. It looks like a shipping container, a ton of tech inside.

You can shoot laser or lead. There is a pretty significant HVAC filtration system inside, and two shooters can shoot at once side by side.

If I were to guess, it probably cost more than some peoples homes.

Don't know what you plan on firing ? but if its high powered handguns or rifles can't see how you can build a home made range in your basement for $2000 and have it safe ! No Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion all, whether they be positive.

The ceiling will consist of 2" block
All inside surfaces will be painted block and walls, floor and ceiling washable,
I know the code enforcer in my township. If its not a big deal I will pursue a building permit. Selling it as a cold storage space.
Hepa outlet AND inlet filter. Thank you BISCUT for the blood test info.
9mm will be the primary firearm.

I knew the previous 2 code enforcers very well. (I was on the planning commission). Indoor modifications were of no interest.

Comments have been very useful. After further refinements I will post a detailed drawing.

Maybe I'm taking it wrong, but when I read "selling it as cold storage space", my mind goes to two places.

1. When you sell the property, you'll sell it that way. In such case, check your states rules on disclosure. Under the law here, this would be an item that would need to be disclosed to the buyer or you could be on the hook for damages.

2. If in regards to building code, why the need to cheat?

Off my soapbox now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back