shooting at the range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some suggestions for shooting bags for the range .

See some people using a shooting rest and or bags but that seems like a lot to carry with you every trip.

Would be using mostly on an AR15.

Also curious what everybody thinks on using a laser bore sight , is it worth it before the first sight in ?

Last question would be do you quick clean at all with a bore cleaner at the range or wait unitl you get home for better cleaning?

Thanks

Get a decent bipod and learn to use it. Nothing to carry. The advantage to bore sighting is using a few less rounds to get zero'd. Shoot another mag instead of cleaning since you're at the range and clean at home.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Get a decent bipod and learn to use it. Nothing to carry. The advantage to bore sighting is using a few less rounds to get zero'd. Shoot another mag instead of cleaning since you're at the range and clean at home.

This in a nutshell.

I carry one of those green bags made by allen or whoever if I am going to the range to sight in irons or optics. Simply can't do a bipod on a 16 inch carbine!

The best trick I've found for shooting bags is to take regular sandbags and fill them with beans or rice. Nice and light, still work OK.

I can site a rifle in with three rounds. Not using a lazer bore sighter. But I shoot mostly bolt action rifles, so it's easy to remove the bolt and look at the target through the bore (abot 50 yds seems to work well. Then, without moving the rifle, adjust the cross hairs to be on center.
Shoot 1 round at 25 yds. at that point you can either go by the numbers, except multiply by 4 for 100 yds, Or you can sight the gun at center target, as you did with the shot, then WITHOUT MOVING THE RIFLE, adjust the crosshairs to the point of impact.

Final adjustment is at 100 yds.

I'll almost always run a wet patch through my bore before leaving the range, especially when using a Hoppes copper remover.

The carbon comes off MUCH better when it's still warm to hot, so putting some cleaner through at the end of your range session is much more effective than waiting until you get home. A combo product with a bore snake makes for minimal extra stuff you have to bring with you.

Bags vs bipod: If you only ever shoot at the range, then use whichever you want. If you also shoot in the field, then don't practice exclusively with a bipod unless you're willing to have it on the gun in the field. Some people aren't willing (or able?) to do that. Any kind of bag (duffel bag with a bit of stuffing?) or a rolled up jacket work just fine as a shooting bag, so you certainly needn't purchase extra equipment just to shoot off of.

The laser boresighters I've used have, without exception, been no better than my eyeball looking through the bore with bolt removed or breech block open, and aligning that and the scope to a target at a distance. Obviously, this method is unreasonable on something like a lever action, so a boresighter tool can be somewhat helpful there. The point is, again, there's no significant need to buy more equipment.

Good luck, and have (safe) fun.

Definitely agree on a bag filled with beans or rice. Sand gets really heavy, especially with a big bag. I've cut up the legs on old pairs of jeans to make bags before.

You don't need bags for informal shooting at the range. You also don't need to clean an AR15 all the time. Every 500-1000 rounds is fine. If you're a serious precision shooter you probably wouldn't be asking these questions here. Go have fun and don't worry about dragging a bunch of gear around.

i used a tripod rest when shooting rifle. i am not shooting precision so i don't use sandbags. a laser boresighter that inserts into the barrel is worth its weight in bullets. i have put on scopes and red dots that were so far off when mounted it did not hit the paper at 50 yards. got a bore sighter and do it at home in the hall way . it get the windage and elevation close enough that it lands on paper at least. can also be used with iron sights . i also use it to check timing on barrels.

My Dad is a real precision shooter and he always uses the bags or a vise type rest even hunting .

Up until recently he has always done his own reloading .

I never really got into the bags or even a bipod but could see the merits of having a more stable platform when hunting.

Ipaln on having a bipod on the gun in the future for varmint and predator hunting and can remove it for doing some plnking at the range.

The question on the bags and boresight was more for getting a zero on your rifle , did you feel it was worth the expense ?

Thanks for the comments so far.

I just went through similar with my new gun. I went cheap and got a cheapie bore sight off Amazon, it lasted about 2 minutes before the laser died, and the sight got stuck in the gun due to poor fitment (had to get the cleaning rod out to push it out). So if you get a bore sight get a good one.
So far I have only shot it at the indoor range I have a membership at, and it is only 25 yards, but took me about 30 rounds to get the iron sights set, and another 10 or so to get the red dot accurate.
This was the first time I sighted in a gun though. It was done with me just resting my arms on the bench, no bag or rest used. If/when I sight another gun, I plan on getting a better bore sight, seems it would be much easier and faster to use
The outdoor range I use has both sand bags and blocks for anyone to use, and I will probably use those when checking 50 and 100 yard.

As for cleaning, I have always been a minimalist.
Pistols are cleaned every 500-1000 rounds, except for my carry. I shoot 50-100 rounds every range trip, and it gets a quick field strip, wipe down and quick lube while still at the range, and a thorough cleaning every 300-500 rounds.
My rifles are about the same. My .22 is only cleaned when it starts having issues (usually ~1000 rounds), and I am still figuring out how often I will need to do my AR. I cleaned and lubed it when I bought it, cleaned it after the first time shooting it (420 rounds), and have shot another 500 or so rounds through it since then, and will probably do another 250 rounds before stripping it to see how it looks.

I've seen some "shooting" bags disguised as tennis racket bags, even has the Wilson logo on the bag. Very clever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back