Shoichiro Toyoda passing

The leader who made Toyota what it is today, Shoichiro Toyoda, has passed away at the age of 97.
In the 1960s, Toyoda was one of the executives charged with implementing a new "total quality control" system based on the ideas of an American professor, William Deming. Under the system, later copied by other automakers and companies in other industries, workers were encouraged to contribute suggestions to improve production and reduce defects.

Toyoda is also responsible for Toyota's international expansion.

This man, IMO, is as important as Henry Ford in automobile history.

Last edited:
I agree. Sadly, the Big 3 seemed to get away from Deming's ideas and listened to the accountants instead.

Seriously? Toyota (although they're getting better) has some of the cheapest crap interiors in the industry.

Seriously? Toyota (although they're getting better) has some of the cheapest crap interiors in the industry.
That may be true but Toyota's for the most part will run hundreds of thousands of miles without requiring special oils etc...Toyota, like every other car maker, will occasionally make a mistake but they quickly fix it unlike some makers who act as if there isn't an issue...ie: Ford's terrible Powershift transmission in the Focus, GM's timing chain issues, Hyundai's engine casting issues, etc...

We're talking quality. Deming was a leader in quality and continuous improvement. Plan - Do - Check - Act
Deming tried to talk quality to Ford; they told him to pound sand. He went to Toyota in Japan; they listened. The rest is history.
Before Deming/Toyoda changed auto manufacturing, the goal was, "you don't stop the line."
"We don't have time to build it right, but we sure have time to fix it later" was the philosophy.

My 80 and 90 Toyotas were really nice. The 2006 is rather well Not impressive. I haven't seen the current models tbut the reliability ratings seem to have dropped.

My impression of the interior of the RAV4 I rented for a week last year was that it was designed to be durable, rather than a pleasurable place to be. Great for a family with rambunctious kids and the family dog, not so great if your looking for a bit of luxury.

Toyoda leaves a lasting and honorable legacy.

The tradition in the family is that each generation should start a new business. Toyoda’s idea was to get into home building which has flourished. That’s a part of Toyota people in the US don’t hear about much.

I agree. Sadly, the Big 3 seemed to get away from Deming's ideas and listened to the accountants instead.
Not really. 'Listening', or giving to much sway to the accountants doesn't negatively impact a business any more or less than overly listening to the lawyers or engineers. I'd wager that as many if not more businesses were hurt, especially in certain industries, by engineers giving the market what the customers should want instead of what they ask for. What hurts a business is not listening to the folks in the company who actually listen to the customers.... 20+ years as a Finance exec sensitized me to this trope:cool:

Back on topic, the Toyoda and Toyota story is impressive and yes he deserves to be seen in the same limelight as Ford and others if for no other reason than having the vision to recognize and actually use help from outside of his culture and country...cutting edge for Japanese industry at the time. And I will always respect Toyota for helping if not saving Porsche and their work with Lotus.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with accountants and engineering work; in fact is it critical to success through good products at a good cost/price.
There is tons wrong with bad or inappropriate accounting influence and poor engineering.

Why? Because those mistakes are paid for by us, the consumer.

Deming tried to talk quality to Ford; they told him to pound sand. He went to Toyota in Japan; they listened. The rest is history.
That's no surprise and the result was quite evident, as Ford stuff was terrible for decades, and seems to be so again. Ford makes one good product, the F150. I'd be hesitant to purchase anything else they make.

That's no surprise and the result was quite evident, as Ford stuff was terrible for decades, and seems to be so again. Ford makes one good product, the F150. I'd be hesitant to purchase anything else they make.
I wouldn't buy anything GM makes except a Corvette.

Seriously, Chrysler doesn't exist anymore. While they had good engines and automatic transmissions the rest of the car was terrible which is why they are out of business. (the New Process 5 speed in my 1983 Omni was the worst manual I ever drove.....and I've driven many.)

Back