Shock installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm install new shocks on my Truck today. 04 Ford Ranger.

The front shocks have that threaded end that sandwiches the frame between two bushings (does that make sense?).

My Question is,

How tight to go on the nut that sqeezes the bushings. I bottomed out the nut and I think I went too far. The resistance didn't change when tightening so I could figure out a good place to stop.

If I didn't make sense let me know and I'll try and clarify.

Thanks

As long as there room for the rubber bushing to work, you are fine. Shock absorbers dont need to be fitted like it was going on the space shuttle. Need to be sure the nut does not back off, so it sounds like you did it right.

Dan

You don't need to go very tight at all. Once you can start to see the rubber bulging thats more than far enough. Really only need a few turns after the rubber is seated on both sides. You went way to far.

Back in the olden days, a general rule-of-thumb for tightening shock absorber mounts was: for the donut type bushings, tighten until the sides had bulged out about 1/8", which increased the uncompressed diameter by about 1/4" overall. That was for *rubber* bushings- I'd assume you should go for less deformation than that with poly bushings.

And the other old-days rule is to finish fastener tightening once the complete weight of the vehicle is back on the tires. Lack of preload could distort bushings and lead to premature wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back