Shock Absorbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard praise for many makes of shock from many makes of people. One brand stands out as praised almost universally by people whom I consider "in the know" - Bilstein.

Anecdotally, I've used KYB GR2 shocks in the past and found them just fine. Bilsteins are reputed to live forever.

"...tender lithe nubile essence..."

Oh good gravy boats...normally, one would use that comment in reference to that Goddess of a pole vaulter from California...

My experience is that the more expensive monroe's work fine, at least as well as the OEM's but I have some where the boots are falling apart after just a couple of years. They still ride fine however.

I have Bilsteins on a '96 Roadmaster Wagon (fullsize, like a truck chassis) and they are the best. I have absolutely no regrets. Kind of firm but not bad at all and they definitely keep the bounce under control. I've had them for just over a year and hope they last for many more. I paid $300 for 4 of them and $100 to get them installed.

I prefer to replace oem shocks early and enjoy the improved ride for a long time, rather than waiting for the ride to degrade. I've never had to replace the aftermarkets shocks/struts. Chances are after 150-200k I would be tired of the car anyway and looking for something else.

I have used Tokico shocks on a thunderbird, and did not like them at all. They did not damper properly.

I have used bilstein, and they are expensive, but very good shocks. Also lifetime warranty.

I would buy from shox.com or rockauto, whichever was cheaper.

Monroe Sensatracs from the local discount auto parts retailer would probably provide the best bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back