shipping horrors &paypal: how did it end for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday I sold some matco swivel impact sockets off of a forum for $200, received payment through paypal. These sockets cost me $400 a couple years ago when I bought them off the truck.
They were not sold through ebay-- just paypal.
I boxed them neatly in the small flat rate box, and sent them on their way.

They arrived with the box torn open, and every last socket gone.

The buyer had NOT opted to buy insurance.

Now he's filed a dispute through paypal, and paypal has frozen the $200.
I'm worried there's only one way this can end: with me out $200, and out my matco sockets.
I feel the onus should be on the buyer, for failing to purchase insurance. Actually, it should be on usps for brutalizing my package, but they won't do anything.

I have my receipt proving that the package went out weighing 2 lbs 11.5 oz, and he has photos of the empty box torn open. So yes-- I have proof that I DID ship 2lbs 11.5oz worth of something, not just an empty box.

Is there any way this can end in my favor?
How have you fared working with paypal?

Last edited:
Even if he didn't buy insurance, he should file a claim with USPS for the packaging damage and lost product. In fact, it shouldn't have been accepted if it were in that condition.

Once I had some fraudulent charges on my credit card from someone in Europe or Russia that used Paypal with my credit card number. I called Paypal and spoke to someone there. After they did their investigation, they refunded me the money I lost.

They were very reasonable. I hope you get the same treatment. Sorry to hear what happened to you.

Regards, JC.

how do we know this person didnt take the box rip it open then photo it and say its shipping damage.

Indeed.
a) I like not to be that cynical
b) it has stamps in red saying, "RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENTS"
unless he's such a regular scam artist, that he owns his own stamp. But I don't think so. My sense is that it was usps, and yeah, I should have made him buy insurance, or swallowed the cost-- but I haven't had a box this badly beaten in a long while. It seemed fine! It wasn't even heavy.

Unfortunately PayPal tends to be harsh on sellers but:

Quote:
The buyer had NOT opted to buy insurance.

If he specifically opted out he agreed to any possible failure of the postal system. If they said the box arrived torn open: that is a postal service issue. There was clear evidence the package was opened, so they've admitted you didn't not ship them the sockets or ship you an incomplete set. They admitted the *package* was torn open.

So stick to your guns and make sure you save evidence.

Edit: No postal company out there will say "received without contents". Why? They're admitting they've opened it in that case...and unless they're U.S. Customs that tends to be a felony (its illegal to open mail not addressed to you).

Last edited:
" he should file a claim with USPS for the packaging damage and lost product."

If you make a big enough stink, can you successfully get money out of usps, even without insurance?
SOMEONE in the post office has $408 retail value in MATCO swivel sockets-- they didn't disappear.

he did send me photos of the box, too, as proof. And I have my receipt and tracking number, and the receipt shows that it weighed something when it left my hands. Hoping usps can help.

Best situation... apparently if boxes fall apart on their sorting machine, the contents are sequestered in a sort of lost and found. Really hoping against hope, that they can just find them. I don't want to screw over the buyer, who I think is honest, but I simply cannot afford $200 either. So finding them would be best.
I even taped all the sockets to each other, so they can't be that separated.

We've been selling and shipping similar size products since 2008.

We accept Paypal. We know how to get products to customers - nearly 20,000 orders.

First of all, the cardboard used in the small FRB is really lousy. If your box contains any mass at all, you need to fully tape the box. The whole thing in clear packing tape. Not surprising the box failed. Most all of our losses with small FRB are the whole box just vanishes. Poof. Gone.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but Paypal protects only one party: Paypal. If the buyer didn't get his goods, then Paypal will mostly say the deal is not complete, so the buyer keeps his money. You are responsible for getting the goods to him. Keep chasing the Post Office, but without insurance it will be tough and they know how many small FRB's get destroyed....lost and stolen.

If you pay with credit card you're golden, as is paypal. Sorry to say but you as the seller should get insurance or self insure. Although many believe the buyer having the option gives them the risk, when a problem all sorts out with a CC/PP transaction the seller gets screwed.

Wife ordered a package through the post office that had tracking and showed delivered. Delivered to a neighbor's snowbank we're guessing, we never saw it. Seller was not helpful, I can't blame them. Charged back the credit card. Worked out for us.

Originally Posted By: berninicaco3
Indeed.
a) I like not to be that cynical
b) it has stamps in red saying, "RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENTS"
unless he's such a regular scam artist, that he owns his own stamp. But I don't think so. My sense is that it was usps, and yeah, I should have made him buy insurance, or swallowed the cost-- but I haven't had a box this badly beaten in a long while. It seemed fine! It wasn't even heavy.

Sounds like you left out essential information in your original post.

my updated 2cents.

you are screwd.

You should just get insurance on anything you send to protect yourself.

I always do and I include it in the shipping quote always.

If they want to opt out I make them send me a money order.

you need to go afte the postal service for your $$$

good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Wife ordered a package through the post office that had tracking and showed delivered. Delivered to a neighbor's snowbank we're guessing, we never saw it. Seller was not helpful, I can't blame them. Charged back the credit card. Worked out for us.

Same exact thing happened to me a couple years ago. I bought my gf something off Ebay. It was not supposed to be delivered/left at my house without a signature. Mailman left it in my mailbox anyway without a signature. Seller had tracking on the package,and showed time/date it was left in my mailbox. We have a tard that lives a few houses down that steals everything she can get her hands on,and has been in jail for mail theft,which I suspect stole my package,because I`ve caught her red handed trying to steal my stuff before.

Bottom line on this,USPS was negligent for leaving it in my mailbox without my signature. I filed a clain with them because they are the ones who f`d up,not the seller,so I had no right to blame the seller. USPS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Oh,and the USPS assclowns did nothing,never followed up,nada. I was completely ignored. Yes,the USPS SUCKS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Sorry to say but you as the seller should get insurance or self insure.

Unfortunately I think this pretty much sums it up. I have a bad feeling you're out a set of sockets. That SUCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back