shifter cable 99 silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I got a 99 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 that tranny wont go in park or 1st & 2nd becuase cable is stretched Is there away to adjust it or do I need to replace it ? I can crawl under and put in gears so its stretched cable right ? Wont start with shifter all the way up and reads R have to start in N.

Also need to know witch one is more likely the bad one, upper or lower cable? Thanks for any help or suggestions never messed with shifter cables just linkage

That cable is not adjustable and it's usually the lower one that gets damaged. You can try this: remove the silver staple (U clip) from the cable and remove it from the trans lever. You may have another clip to pull down in your application. Put the shifter in N inside the truck and the lever in N on the trans. Then. connect the cable to the trans, lock it and put the silver staple back in. This is how we used to set the cables in the plant until around 2005-6 when cables and procedures changed. Going by memory here...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That cable is not adjustable and it's usually the lower one that gets damaged. You can try this: remove the silver staple (U clip) from the cable and remove it from the trans lever. You may have another clip to pull down in your application. Put the shifter in N inside the truck and the lever in N on the trans. Then. connect the cable to the trans, lock it and put the silver staple back in. This is how we used to set the cables in the plant until around 2005-6 when cables and procedures changed. Going by memory here...
Try it in the morning thanks

Well found that lower cable is the problem. Plastic tube that cable slides in in between tranny linkage and where cable mounts to tranny is broke allowing it to flex when pushing and not allowing it to pull all the way back. Thanks for the input

Well fount that upper cable is shot too housing is rotted or worn it runs under floormat under your foot so its in two pieces instead of one now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back