Shift points on a 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm actually surprised how much NVH manufacturers will allow to keep an engine from downshifting these days. Especially with the variable displacement motors. I'd never regularly run my mtx vehicles at the low rpms in top gear with the level of grumbling that my parents CRV produces, or the V6 vans at work will do, I also read here about the MDS pickups from Ram and GM doing the same thing.

That's interesting...what year is your parents' CR-V? Is it a 2010+ model? My in-laws' 2011 CR-V definitely has different transmission programming than our 2008 does. My in-laws' will lug the engine at around 1200-1400 rpm where ours won't. It's funny how different our two CR-Vs drive for being the "same" car.

I think its actually an 06, still has the 5 spd trans though. I would like the gearing if I could tell it to hold 4th when it can't decide what to do on some hills, but you can't do that.

Unfortunately, Honda doesn't allow us to lock out just 5th gear on these applications where the shift selector is relatively small. Our Acura MDX has a fully gated shifter (P-R-N-D5-D4-D3-2-1), and you can select any range, but the CR-V has just P-R-N-D-2-1 with an O/D lockout.

Honda's 5-speeds are technically double-overdrive transmissions. 4th and 5th are both overdriven gears, which explains why the O/D off button locks to 3rd. I'd prefer it to lock to 4th instead. But 4th is technically an overdrive gear.

The only time I want to lock the Honda into 4th is when towing. I'd like it to not want to upshift into 5th. Other than that, though, I find it to be in the gear I'd have it in nearly all of the time. It seems to read my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back