Shells for a 100 year old 10 gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything available out there for these old 2 7/8" chambers as the 3 1/2" has been the standard now for many years. I'd like a few shot sizes and it would seem like someone who does custom loading or I'd have to source reloading gear-that I really don't care to do for a relatively small amount. Anybody have, or know someone, with some old stock or a reliable maker? thanks

I shoot a couple of 10 Gauges. Both are 3-1/2" Magnums. 2-7/8" 10 gauge loads have not been loaded for some time now. I picked up a box back in the 70's by bumping into them at a small gun shop, back when I was living in Illinois. I haven't seen any since. About the only way I know of that you could load them, would be by buying some new 3-1/2" 10 gauge hulls and trimming them down.

Ballistic Products has some 10 Gauge supplies. If they don't have exactly what you require, they could point you in the right direction. If you could find a Lee Loader in 10 Gauge, it would be a inexpensive way to put some rounds together without making it into a big, expensive production.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/10-gauge-hulls/products/75/

10 Gauge Shells.jpg

My shoulder hurts , just thinking about a 10 gauge ! :-(

Would that be old enough for it to have a Damascus / twist steel barrel ? If so , you probably need to play it safe and only shoot black powder loads . I do not know if any of the BP substitutes would be within the appropriate pressure range ?

Best of luck to you , :)

100 years old would make me pause and make sure it's not Damascus.

I have a few Damascus barrel shotguns, and treat them as pure display pieces and don't even think about shooting them. I certainly COULD load my own black powder if I were so inclined, but don't want to take a chance on that.

My Winchester '97 from 1907 is a different story, though. I shoot the snot out of it, and don't think twice about pulling full blown hunting loads in it. It was reamed to a 2 3/4" chamber(16 gauge) long before I bought it, though.

The easiest would be RST-if they offered a wider load/shot selection than they do. Ballistic Products isn't that far from me and I've stopped in there before. They have a lot of expertise and components-altho no 10 ga cases now. They did suggest a custom cartridge fella in Wisc that is apparently 'iffy' from search info comments. The Lee Loader for 10 gauge is no longer made and a 'collectors item' on ebay. I'll keep trying. I may end up buying the modern 3 1/2" and doing a partial component reduction and case shortening.

What are you trying to do with this gun? I'd pick something else that wasn't a hundred year old gun that uses obscure shells if you're wanting to put it into high volume service.

Haven't seen a 10ga in quite some time. Only a stones throw away from the second biggest Cabelas in North America too. I would just oil and wipe it down and save it. Maybe get a hull reloader and do some really light loads. Got pics?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
My shoulder hurts , just thinking about a 10 gauge !

Actually a 3-1/2" 10 gauge is easier on the shoulder than a 3-1/2" 12 gauge is. They both launch a 2 ounce payload of shot. But the 10 gauge spreads it out over a larger bore diameter. (A bigger "nozzle" so to speak). So the recoil is slightly less. It's also less sharp. More of a big push. 10 gauges also tend to pattern better, and have a shorter shot string. But I have some older 3-1/2" 10 gauge loads that have a 2-1/2 ounce shot payload. Those are a beast.

I can't speak for any steel shot 10 gauge loads, because I don't want to risk shooting them through my older 10 gauge double. It has solid bored full chokes, and I don't want to risk it. So I only shoot lead or Bismuth shot in it. And Bismuth is getting very expensive and hard to find.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
My shoulder hurts , just thinking about a 10 gauge !

Actually a 3-1/2" 10 gauge is easier on the shoulder than a 3-1/2" 12 gauge is. They both launch a 2 ounce payload of shot. But the 10 gauge spreads it out over a larger bore diameter. (A bigger "nozzle" so to speak). So the recoil is slightly less. It's also less sharp. More of a big push. 10 gauges also tend to pattern better, and have a shorter shot string. But I have some older 3-1/2" 10 gauge loads that have a 2-1/2 ounce shot payload. Those are a beast.

I can't speak for any steel shot 10 gauge loads, because I don't want to risk shooting them through my older 10 gauge double. It has solid bored full chokes, and I don't want to risk it. So I only shoot lead or Bismuth shot in it. And Bismuth is getting very expensive and hard to find.

This I'd shoot my Browning NWTF 3.5 10 gauge any day over my Remington 870 12 gauge mag NWTF gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back