Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked, but didn't find much about Shell's oils. Are they any good, especially the dino type?
My wife likes it, but I want to make sure it's okay before I put it in her car.

Do a search of UOA's. Not many, so I can't make any strong comments - although it seems a few were a tad spotty.

offtopic.gif
One thing, Ferrari F1 team sponsor is Shell. Since I'm of distant Italian heritage, and people say I have a passing resemblance to Rubens Baricello (again Italian heritage but not Italian citizen), and because Castrol = Williams/BMW and Mobil1 = McClaren/Merecedes.....I pull hard for Ferrari!!!
cheers.gif

Si, Pablo...the Ferrari-Shell connection is inescapable...I think Shell oils are probably solid performers although I have no empirical data to prove that; I've always felt confident whenever I have used them...it seems as though any factory that has teamed up with them in racing (Porsche in the 70's and 80's; Ferrari in the 60s and 70s and now) has done VERY well and I hear that Shell lubrication engineers are very active and available when they provide support. Doesn't exactly answer the mail...

In the mid 90's, I believe that Consumer Reports in its oil study commented that Shell's oils varied in different parts of the country. There has been some speculation that Shell will take over production of Wal-Mart's house brand once the Shreveport blending facility purchased by Quaker State is closed.

Pablo: so you look Brazilian? Barrichello is Brazillian.

anyway, Shell oil here in the U.S. has been spotty to say the least for years since Shell was really just a retail fuel dist. however, they are completely changing thie operations and are vying for control as the largest fuel and lubricants supplier in the N.A. market (bp is the largest in fuel dist.)and they are trying to bring their business here up to European standards of recognition.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Jefferson:
Pablo: so you look Brazilian? Barrichello is Brazillian.

anyway, Shell oil here in the U.S. has been spotty to say the least for years since Shell was really just a retail fuel dist. however, they are completely changing thie operations and are vying for control as the largest fuel and lubricants supplier in the N.A. market (bp is the largest in fuel dist.)and they are trying to bring their business here up to European standards of recognition.

I hope they do, Chris. I think we will find their products "very pleasing to the motor."

I've used Formula Shell in quite a few cars. Never had a problem and the stuff can be had dirt cheap. I'm using Pennz now in the truck, since I can't understand why Formula is so cheap to buy, how crazy is that?

Formula Shell's appearance is quite different from Pennzoil. It is completely transparent and the colour of a good lager. It also stinks like an old fish.

I found this odd in comparison to Pennz with 'PureBase' since the Hydroisomerized GII+ should be water clear and the finished product is very dark and barely translucent.

I question their attitude. In Latin America they have very different formulas in the same names. Last time I did a market study, what we receved as Rimula X from Argentina was a CF-4, when it came from Chile it was a SJ/CG-4, when it came from Brazil it was a CD. All with the same label. When the government said they had to have an API license to sell their products I was present at the meeting where they announced that "Shell is better than the API, so we don't need API licenses"

offtopic.gif
Chris - When I visited southern Brazil, I fit in OK, despite my terrible Portugese. There are many European immigrants in Brazil, including Italians. Let me say this, maybe Rubens and I have some distant Italian relative.

Odd notes on Brazil: MANY Germans in Southern Brazil, and there is quite a large Japanese population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back