Shell Ultra, Mobil 1, Fuchs/Silkolene, Castrol Edge, Millers Nanodrive etc etc

Hi,

I've had a good search round in regards to the above brands for high performance applications and had some of my questions answered this way, but I still had a few queries in regards to two applications for cars used within the UK and throughout Europe.

Firstly, tuned BWW N54's being used on track 450-600bhp. From what I had read, general concensous was to stick with a Castrol Edge 0w30/5w40 and change out often? Any further input on this?

Secondly, 4G63 engine in the Mitsubishi Evos, 350-500bhp. I've always used 5w40 Fuchs/Millers which I believe are Ester based/containing but had seem some info about GTL oils. I've only ever gone with the crowd, hence the Ester based oils, but are Castrol Edge/Mobil1/Shell Ultra viable alternatives?

Many thanks

Nad

Hi,

I've had a good search round in regards to the above brands for high performance applications and had some of my questions answered this way, but I still had a few queries in regards to two applications for cars used within the UK and throughout Europe.

Firstly, tuned BWW N54's being used on track 450-600bhp. From what I had read, general concensous was to stick with a Castrol Edge 0w30/5w40 and change out often? Any further input on this?

Secondly, 4G63 engine in the Mitsubishi Evos, 350-500bhp. I've always used 5w40 Fuchs/Millers which I believe are Ester based/containing but had seem some info about GTL oils. I've only ever gone with the crowd, hence the Ester based oils, but are Castrol Edge/Mobil1/Shell Ultra viable alternatives?

Many thanks

Nad
How often are they used on track?
IMO, I would go Motul 5W40 Sport if fuel dilution is in check. 5W50 if there is a bit more fuel dilution. Mobil1 5W50, Redline 5W40.
If you spend more time on track than on the street, Motul 10W40, 5W40 300V would be my go to.
If you just occasionally go to track and spend more time on the street, Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40, SHell Helix H8 Pureplus. Basically anything XW40 that has MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals.

Please don't use xW-30 oils in these engines with that power on track.

Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 10W-40
Penrite Racing 10 tenths 10W-40
Ravenol RCS 5W-40
Ravenol RSE 5W-50
Ravenol RSE 10W-50
Rowe Hightec Racing 0W-40

For the given purpose approvals are probably somewhat dispensable.

Last edited:
Evo is street use only. Castrol oil recommendation was from a previous N54 thread on here. BMW is being built as a track car but will be driven there.

Please don't use xW-30 oils in these engines with that power on track.

Ravenol RCS 5W-40
Ravenol RSE 5W-50
Ravenol RSE 10W-50

For the given purpose approvals are probably somewhat dispensable.
I believe 0W-30 is the standard oil for the N54 here in the UK. I believe its currently on 5W-40 Castrol Edge but get lost with all the oil ratings in regards to noack, esters etc and what would suit.

With the Evo, always used decent oil but wasn't sure if the GTL stull like Shell was a viable alternative?

BMW LL-04 is either 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-40, same with LL-01 as far as I remember.
BMW LL-01 FE is 0W-30 only if I'm not mistaken, but I wouldn't recommend it anyway.
BMW UK may direct their dealers using 0W-30 and 5W-30 preferably for 'CAFE'-like reasons.
Not all Shell Helix Ultra are majority GTL base any longer. All SHU are excellent value though.
For example I'd still recommend using SHU Professional AV-L 0W-30 for whose owning VAG
cars requiring VW 504 00/507 00 oil. It's still majority GTL, has proper specs and commonly
results in excellent UOAs.
However since both your Evo and your BMW are that much power and the latter is also seeing
track duty I'd go one step up both in quality and viscosity.

Btw, had a typo. Ravenol 5W-50 is called RRS. So it must read:

Ravenol RCS 5W-40
Ravenol RRS 5W-50
Ravenol RSE 10W-50

Granted, all of this stuff is rather expensive, but it's excellent and you can't go wrong with any
of them. You might go and do some search which of them you're able to get the best price for.
Take care keeping oil temps on track below 120°C if possible. That likely will require additional
cooling if you haven't already taken care of. Excessive oil temps are going along with excessive
cylinder head temps, which isn't good for longevity and also affects power (knock, timing retard).

Back