Shell Ultra Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Does anybody know the difference between Canadian Shell regular and ultra diesel? I checked their website and didn't find anything of value other than Shell will rebuild your engine if their fuel blows it up. I've had my fingers and toes crossed ever since reading that one, I hope she blows because my injector pump is leaking!
smile.gif

Do you guys think the ultra comes from a different refinery or is it more likely to have had a barrel of Diesel 911 added to it? It costs 3 cents a litre more.

Thanks, Steve

just my guess, but i would have to say that the ultra is probably a mix of around 80% #2 and 20% #1. probably more of a winter mix. dont know though. dont have many shell stations in my area.

Don't know if it's of any relevance, but we get Shell Diesel Extra here in the UK.

shell extra

BP and Esso also have new fangled diesel variants out now too.

I didn't look at the pumps and I only put in Regular diesel. There was some yahoo next to me reving the heck out of his Caravan so I got out of there quick. His carberator must have been frozen or something because his engine would die as soon as he got off the gas...it was cold!
crushedcar.gif

I'll be back next week to try the Ultra. I want to see how many KM I get from their regular first as I've never used it before either. The regular hasn't gelled on me yet which is good, I didn't put any additives in the tank either because of said yahoo.

Steve

I took a better look at the pump today and it says it is just an additive. There's actually a box in the pump that mixes the stuff in while you pump so it isn't worth an extra 3 cents a litre to me. I did not bother asking what the additive is because I won't be going back. I've ordered a Shell card lock account so I can fill jerry cans and bring them home with me, for a discount.

I got the same mileage with the Shell regular diesel as I got with Pioneer diesel too. I did note that I could not get my car to belch black smoke with Shell so it is different.

Steve

Wow, 6.22 litres / 100 km from regular shell diesel and 5.72 litres / 100 km from ultra shell diesel!

That's 852 km from my 53 litre tank with regular and 927 km from the ultra.

The extra cost for the ultra is 1.59$ but 75 km worth of regular fuel would have cost more. I'll have to see what I can get with regular diesel and my own additive.

Come summer I should be able to get 1000 km from ultra, that's 5.3 litres / 100 km.
cheers.gif
Not bad for a car with 390K km on it and origional engine/fuel injection system! I was able to puff some smoke with this stuff so I could change my timing for even more mileage.

Steve

Yep, it's me again!

I got 910 km from the last tank where I topped up with regular shell diesel. This makes me think I could get away with filling up half and half with the two different products. I wouldn't have to move the car to do it so it is worth a thought. I wonder if it would be cost effective to do this with gasoline as well, assuming I needed mid grade.

I also checked the counters on the pumps and the regular:ultra sales is approximately 2.5:1

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back