Shell T6 5W-40/K&N Fil, 12,178 mi, 02 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first number is from a sample with same brand filter taken January 28, 2011 with 7,950 miles. The second is 8 months later also with a K&N filter and 12,178 miles and and end ODO of 193,611 on the '02 Accord. Just before this was a 2,000 mi highway trip. The next oil change is using a Purolator Gold and I'm going to go to ~15,000 mi and see what numbers I get.

Oil sample was taken after reaching normal operating tempature checked with a ScanGuageII. The engine was allowed to cool to 120 degrees according to the ScanGuage and then drained, flowed for 2 seconds, and a sample taken. The sample is from Blanchard Caterpillar in South Carolina. I have included for reference the Virgin Numbers from this forum.

Code:
Virgin

T6 5W-40 1/28/2011 08/2/2011

7,950 mi 12,178 mi

Cu (Copper) 0 5 7

Fe (Iron) 0 7 7

Cr (Cromium) 0 1 1

Al (Aluminum) 0 1 2

Pb (Lead) 0 0 1

Sn (Tin) 0 1 1

Si (Silicon) 2 8 10

Na (Sodium) 4 7 8

K (Potassium) 1 1 1

Mo (Molybdenum) 59 73 66

Ni (Nickel) 0 0 0

Ca (Calcium) 833 1113 870

Mg (Magnesium) 1187 994 1084

Zn (Zinc) 1264 1687 1234

P (Phosphorus) 1147 1137 1044

Ba 0 0

St 0 0

Oxi 22 25

Nit 13 13

Sul 26 27

Water N N

Antifreeze N N

Fuel N N

PFC 13.4 2.45 2.08

V100 14.1 14.7

~Michael~

Last edited:
Is this the V6? Seems like it be too thick for the 4 cyl. How's the gas mileage? Did you analyse filter contents for particle count and size? the bad stuff is in the filter (or the oil pan).

Look good for 12k miles OCI. If I was you I would keep the K&N oil filter for another OCI, it supposes to filter better on second OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Look good for 12k miles OCI. If I was you I would keep the K&N oil filter for another OCI, it supposes to filter better on second OCI.

If that's the case, why would Amsoil redesign the filters and lower their service to 15k (down from 25K) due to the filters clogging up and causing oil starvation issues?

I wouldn't run ANY oil filter past 15k, regardless of how "good" they claim it's suppose to be.

Honda recommends changing oil filter on second oil change with their not so good oil filter.

OP accumulates 12k miles in 8 months, it means he drives mostly on highway and long distance too. A good oil filter likes K&N can easily perform well for 25k miles in a clean engine.

I need to clear one thing up. I did change the oil filter. After reading over it again it's a little confusing. This last oil change was while using a K&N Filter. I now have a Puralator on it right now.

The Accord is a V6.

HTSS TR, you are right. I'm kinda in the country and driving to work and school is about 45 min, 30 min of that would be considered "highway" driving but not interstate.

CarbonCrew and addyguy, The Cat place sample kit is ~$13. This includes shipping to and from the analysis place in SC as well as the actual testing. The Cat place is about a 30 min drive, so while there, I picked up 3
smile.gif
. Shouldn't be back for a couple years.

~Michael~

Very nice numbers for that motor. Good motor and easy driving. Why the 5-40? I run 5-20 in my 02 V6 at 115,000.

FZ1,

It was suggested by my dad. It's actually what he runs in his diesel truck and it's held up great. I think I can go alot further.

It has proven itself since I owned the car that it was a good oil with keeping it running smooth. I was never actually able to find out actually how good it was until I started going oil analysis. Just trying to get the most out of the oil that I can with the analysis and see how the engine is running.

~Michael~

I see. Well,it's certainly working for you. Those are really good numbers for an 02 V6. Good luck with it.

Thanks. We will see how a 15,000 mi run does - and also with the Purolator filter (I need to cut one open one of these days too just to see what's getting trapped). I think it helped doing that 2,000 trip to Wisconsin from North Carolina which was 90% interstate driving at 80. Less load on the engine.

~Michael~

Michael- Those are both good reports but I think you may be assuming too much if you think it's the viscosity doing it for you. You can safely say it's not hurting you in any way, that's for sure, but I think you have a good oil formulation combined with an engine design that's generally pretty easy on oil.

We would all be educated more if you were to change to a 10W30 Rotella T5 for the next run... an oil that will be similar in general formulation to the T6... and do a couple of runs on that oil, sampling each time. After that, you could go to a good 5W20 and see.

FWIW, my 3.0L Honda V6 does as well on 5W30 Castrol GTX/Syntec (4 gts GTX, 1qt Syntec) at 2-year, 7-8K intervals. I have one more fill of that oil before I switch the car over to 10W30 T5 (a consolidation move). BTW, in my Accord's era, 5W30 was spec'ed.

Regardless, what you are doing is working pretty well but it would be nice to determine exactly what part of the equation is doing it. You don't have UOAs on any other oil, do you?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Michael- Those are both good reports but I think you may be assuming too much if you think it's the viscosity doing it for you. You can safely say it's not hurting you in any way

Not to parse words, but I'm not sure you can say that. What I think you can say is that it's not causing any excessive wear in the engine's metal parts. Personally, I'd be more worried about the non-metal parts, i.e. all of the engine's oil seals (cam seals, valve stem seals,etc), when using an oil that thick.

My own anecdotal experience: cars I've owned that used thinner oils never developed any leaks or consumption; cars which used heavier oils have developed both. I don't know if there's a cause/effect relationship there, but in theory I can see how it could be the case.

I don't disagree, having seen how much the oil pressure went up on my 5.4L Ford just by jumping up one grade. It may or may not be an issue for Michael's Honda and I guess he'll find out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back