Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic vs Valvoline Synpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to make up mind. I noticed my fav Maxlife, pours outta my Jag way too thick and nasty looking after 3-4 months of stop and go traffic in our beloved capital. I stick to PureOne oil filters too.

Wanna go all out for my wheels but can't decide between these 2 synthetics. Do I go HDEO or with the all-star Synpower?

Choices choices....

Try using a filter that flows better than PureOne. In theory, improved flow could help.

How bout M1 0w40 or German Castrol?

T6, and how does the PureOne not flow well? I thought they were the one of the best flowing?

every time i drain my synpower, about 5k miles, it always come out very amber in color and flows out very smooth with a nice consistency. I convinced a friend of mine to use synpower. We drained the m1 5w-30 synthetic and the consistency looked lumpy and very thick. He is now on his second synpower fill, and the first drain with synpower flow out much smoother.

Last edited:
Well color means little in an oil and thickness can be a bit subjective as well.

Without knowing your car or engine I would say that if you car specs a xw20 weight than synpower is the way to go. Otherwise you could try the Rotella T6. I have tried Rotella and Castrol Syntec 0w30 (german castrol) and prefer the syntech in my engine.

RT6 is a pretty for a modern pass car - do you need the xtra viscosity or looking for a more robust add pack than ILSAC? Def need to know YMM of your wheels.

Last edited:
If the oil is 'nasty looking', it is doing it's job of keeping crud out of the engine. This is the most likely scenario.

Thoroughly check your PCV system, and and any valve cover gasket leaks that would impede it from flow.

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke
T6, and how does the PureOne not flow well? I thought they were the one of the best flowing?

The Purolator Classic is one of the best flowing. The PureOne isn't terrible by any means but it isn't a K&N, WiX, Purolator Classic, or even an M1 filter when it comes to flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back