Shell Rotella T6 5w40 vs Mobil 1 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a Polaris sportsman 570 2015 and was wondering which one of these oils y'all think would be better? What would be the benefits with the T6 "diesel" oil if any? Owner manual recommends 5w50 but I see alot of people running the T6. Appreciate your help.

Both are good oils. Most people that run T6 have a Wet-clutch which you need a JASO MA fluid which T6 is approved. Correct me if im wrong but i believe your sportsman is belt drive so you dont need a wet-clutch oil. If it was me id run the Mobil 1 5w-50 or check out Schaeffer they have a 5w-50 racing oil that is pretty stout.
https://www.schaefferoil.com/9000-racing-oil.html
[Linked Image]

M1 doesn't even make a shared sump application 5W-50, do they?
You should be looking at their Racing Motorcycle 4t 10W-40 instead as it compares to Rotella T6 better on paper. If you must have the specific 50wt according to the manual, find it and use it. Polaris does funny things like that so best not to risk your engine over it if it can be avoided!

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Both are good oils. Most people that run T6 have a Wet-clutch which you need a JASO MA fluid which T6 is approved. Correct me if im wrong but i believe your sportsman is belt drive so you dont need a wet-clutch oil. If it was me id run the Mobil 1 5w-50 or check out Schaeffer they have a 5w-50 racing oil that is pretty stout.
https://www.schaefferoil.com/9000-racing-oil.html
[Linked Image]

It should still have a shared sump with the transmission though. I can't remember on that particular model for certain however. My Grizzly 660 is belt driven, but the transmission oil is the engine oil on it so it needs that JASO rated stuff.

Originally Posted by Dragon44
Own a Polaris sportsman 570 2015 and was wondering which one of these oils y'all think would be better? What would be the benefits with the T6 "diesel" oil if any? Owner manual recommends 5w50 but I see alot of people running the T6. Appreciate your help.

The benefit would be cost and availability. Your engine will be happy on 5w40. I have run T6 and TDT in 3 Rzr 900s and now in my RZR Turbo.

With normal use, you will be fine running the T6 5w40, it is an excellent oil at a great price. Just keep up with the proper service intervals... shared sumps tend to be very hard on oil.
If you're pushing it hard in very hot environments, the extra viscosity of 5w50 might be a better choice.
My $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back