Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just installed the Shell T6 5W30 MultiVehicle. I was using Shell Gas Truck for 2000 miles but decided to discontinue because after review of different UOAs I came to the conclusion it would sheer too low. My 2nd gen Ecoboost engine started making a ticking sound right front which is the same tick that lead to camphaser failure. I thought the engine just wasnt as quiet as when it had Amsoil in it so I took action now then wait to drain it later on.

I noticed this oil comes in 1 gallon jugs and my mechanic only put in 5 quarts instead of 6. Its not a cheap oil at $28 per 4 quarts at Walmart. Walmart didnt have it on the shelf and had to order it.

I also dropped in BG MOA and MOS 2009.

Now the tick is gone, the engine quieter and overall smoother.

I will report back on this oil 1000 miles later. Keep in mind this oil seems to hold its viscosity unlike others. It starts at 11.8 cst and drops to 11 in the UOAs I saw. My theory is these Ecoboost engines are better off with thicker oil and all the usual oils sheer too low.

Disclaimer...this oil only has API SN Plus rating and is not Dexos and not Ford anything. Keep that in mind. Use it at your own risk. Do your own homework and reach your own decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
Well I just installed the Shell T6 5W30 MultiVehicle. I was using Shell Gas Truck for 2000 miles but decided to discontinue because after review of different UOAs I came to the conclusion it would sheer too low. My 2nd gen Ecoboost engine started making a ticking sound right front which is the same tick that lead to camphaser failure. I thought the engine just wasnt as quiet as when it had Amsoil in it so I took action now then wait to drain it later on.

I noticed this oil comes in 1 gallon jugs and my mechanic only put in 5 quarts instead of 6. Its not a cheap oil at $28 per 4 quarts at Walmart. Walmart didnt have it on the shelf and had to order it.

I will report back on this oil 1000 miles later. Keep in mind this oil seems to hold its viscosity unlike others. It starts at 11.8 cst and drops to 11 in the UOAs I saw. My theory is these Ecoboost engines are better off with thicker oil and all the usual oils sheer too low.

Disclaimer...this oil only has API SN Plus rating and is not Dexos and not Ford anything. Keep that in mind. Use it at your own risk. Do your own homework and reach your own decision.

Your theory of Ecoboosts are better off with thicker is pure bunk. I'm sure you can not be convinced otherwise. Also if you check the Ford forums there are about 5 owners with photos of their 200K mile 3.5EB for every claim of failure.

Dave I'm still amazed this guys hates the 3.5 Ecoboost design
But he owns one !!!
WTH !!!!

Among other things I find odd is a person who lives in New York City owns a Raptor. It must be near impossible to find a parking space.

I recommend you sell the Navigator and buy something else since you're convinced that the engine is faulty.

I have a family member with a 2011 F150 3.5EB with over 200k miles on M1 every 6k miles.

Using a name brand 5w30 meeting fords spec is all that is required. Modern ILSAC lubes are so similar it literally does not matter what brand or formulation you're using. They are statistically all the same quality given manufacturer Intervals

Im in the livery business and quite honestly I dont want to own any of these vehicles. If I was not in the biz I would just have a hybrid Toyota...no nonsense , no drama etc. Its not about what I want but about the business and what it demands.

I know all of my cars very well as I spend a lot of time driving and maintaining them. 7 days a week they on the road.

As for the ecoboost cold start rattle I suggest you go to youtube and enter ecoboost cold start rattle. Many pages..the problem is real...

[Linked Image]

BG moa and a can of moly?..what's in the moa?... sounds like really really expensive Rislone engine treatment???..I can get the same detergency boost with or without zinc, for about $4.

Im in the livery business and quite honestly I dont want to own any of these vehicles. If I was not in the biz I would just have a hybrid Toyota...no nonsense , no drama etc. Its not about what I want but about the business and what it demands.

I know all of my cars very well as I spend a lot of time driving and maintaining them. 7 days a week they on the road.

As for the ecoboost cold start rattle I suggest you go to youtube and enter ecoboost cold start rattle. Many pages..the problem is real...

[Linked Image]

Just because it's on YouTube it does not mean it is a common problem.

I think your issue was due to poor quality parts from Ford, not the oil. This is a well known issue on the early Ecoboost engines in the F150.

I had a similar issue on a 2003 Navigator, the tensioners would bleed off overnight and the timing chain would rattle like crazy on startup. I think there was less than 40,000 miles on it - thankfully it was fixed under warranty (32V 5.4).

Back to your 3.5L - if running an oil that is a little thicker makes you feel better, I would go for 0W-40 or 5w-40. I don't think there is enough difference between one 5w-30 and another to make any difference.

Navi, just gotta say that I feel for you being in the livery business in NYC...that has gotta be a ROUGH place to do that kind of work!
Hopefully you get some of the big money folks from that city in your vehicle sometimes and they give you big tips.
Good luck with your vehicle! I think you might have been fine with your old oil, but that T6 MV does seem like a special oil and I'm glad you are pleased with it so far.

I am of the opinion that this is one of the better 5w30 oils available, I know a lot of people who have used it in their Subarus with excellent results to include the STi engine as well as the TGDI 2.0L used in the WRX and Forester XT. I plan on using this in my Hyundai's GDI at the next oil change.

Great oil, I had the best results in my Forester XT with this oil.

Very shear stable and really quiets the engine down.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Great oil, I had the best results in my Forester XT with this oil.

Very shear stable and really quiets the engine down.

What results ?

I thought it strange that you said RGT 5w30 would shear too much, so I went to the UOA pages and looked. There were 2 analyses there with RGT 5w30 running in Ecoboosts, and the KV100's did drop out of grade. But both of those were due to fuel dilution. (One definitely, the other was from Blackstone, who don't reliably detect fuel dilution.)

It's good to understand that in the days of 4 barrel (Holly and Carter/E'brock)
and dual exhaust that there was no fuel diluted oil
wink.gif

Now keep in mind I very much enjoy the Lincoln Navigator and the Ecoboost engine. Im not knocking it and my current quest is to see what we can do to remedy these issues.

I dont think there is a one size fits all oil for all vehicles. Each oil has different properties and characteristics which will make the engine run the best or it might break the engine. The way we find out is through discussion and analysis of the various oils which is what this website is for.

The Amsoil Signature Series I ran made the truck run pretty well. The Shell Gas Truck oil made me worry as the engine was making noises and running rough. Now with this oil the engine feels strong and smooth. Of course those are personal seat of the pants opinions.

So let me get to the point. The solution to this problem is to find a shear stable oil. The vast majority of oils out there like Mobil 1, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc are simply NOT shear stable. I know they might be your favorite oil but they not good for your Ecoboost engine. If you run those oils you risk significant engine damage. They great for your Toyota but not a high horsepower blown or turbo engine!

The two shear stable oils are going to be those designed for diesel engines or a custom made high end oil. Thus why I am testing Amsoil 5W-30 Signature Series and Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle.

Now a lot of guys run T6 5W40 but I wont run it. The reason is the camphasers are actuated by hydraulic force and the engine oil acts as a hydraulic oil for those phasers. Those phasers are calibrated for 5W30. T6 5W40 also has higher phosphorus which Shell admits might damage your catalytic converter in a gas engine. Furthermore 40 weight might cause more wear at startup.

Neither Amsoil or Shell T6 5W30 MV is Dexos or certified by Ford. Its a bit of a nail bighter throwing it into the engine knowing that and you cant admit that to the dealer for warranty purposes. However it works!

On another note. Amsoil isnt Scamoil. I believe the various UOAs posted are evidence the Signature Series line of oils is a premium product.

Before replying to this take a moment to read this link which explains my logic and why I believe shearing is causing the camphaser problems.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...ion-should-you-run-higher-viscosity-oil/

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
There's also a train of thought out there that a thinner-w oil ( such as 0w-30) might be better for the cam phasers as they'll "pressure-up" quicker on cold start up.
Not ironically, Ford 3.5 EB owners manual does list 0w-30 as acceptable grade for very cold climates, but doesn't recommend NOT using it in hot ones.

Originally Posted by dave1251

[Linked Image]

Just because it's on YouTube it does not mean it is a common problem.

Can also find videos all over the internet about chemtrails and flat earth. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back