Shell Rotella T6 0W40 Arctic Blend low saps API SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found a new oil for JButchs old turbo Subaru. Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is well known in the Subaru crowd but the only thing is that Shell will openly admit its not for gas engines and its bad for the cats. T6 5W40 produces great results on the Blackstone report.

Shell has now upped the ante with low saps API SN rated 0W40 version! So the JButch need not worry if the old Subaru going to lose a cat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Screenshot_20200113-122532_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note. I know this oils intended audience is heavy duty diesels...but thats not what I see it used for. It gets used in many cars for various reasons thus why I posted it here...

Whats more important to you your engine wear or catalytic converter degredation?

I put 0W40 T6 in my daily driver, and btw the jugs of 0W40 T6 I purchased said CJ4/SN on them, still actually rated for gas engines, old stock maybe?

It's a cult … with the NOACK higher than Delvac Super (at near half the cost)
I'd use that or Delo 15w40 in the summer in many of these cases

I would think about it if it were SN+ and actually showed up at a local WM....jbutch and I both own '14 FXTs IIRC.
I bought a case of M1 5W30 ESP some time ago and then completely freaked when somebody online reported getting fake ESP from Amazon!!!

If you are referring to Shell Rotella T6 its hardly boutique. Well I guess ita boutique when comparing to its brother 5W40 which is like 18 dollara for 5 liters and even comes in a larger discounted 2.5 gallon jug too. At my local Walmart the T6 5W40 is usually gone from the shelves with just a few token jugs left behind.

Maybe shrinking the jug and increasing the price was purposeful knowing its the lifeblood of many a Subaru...

Originally Posted by Gokhan
That's false marketing. It's not low-SAPS, which has SA ⤠0.5%. In fact it's not even mid-SAPS, which has SA ⤠0.8%. It's just another CJ-4/SN oil with SA ~ 1.0%, with nothing special about it.
If you want an HDEO, go with a CK-4, which is vastly improved over CJ-4.
Here is a UOA:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=115113&title=uoa-11-16-2015&cat=500

Thanks for the post...too much calcium for me! Even with the elevated ZDDP.

Originally Posted by Navi
If you are referring to Shell Rotella T6 its hardly boutique. Well I guess ita boutique when comparing to its brother 5W40 which is like 18 dollara for 5 liters and even comes in a larger discounted 2.5 gallon jug too. At my local Walmart the T6 5W40 is usually gone from the shelves with just a few token jugs left behind.

Maybe shrinking the jug and increasing the price was purposeful knowing its the lifeblood of many a Subaru...

It's not "boutique persay", but it's pretty rare or at least pricey to get in that weight, much like their 5W-30 and 0W-30 T6 variants. T6 5W-40 comes in gallon (4L) or 2.5 gallon jugs, not 5L that I've ever seen. They do have a rebate I assume. TSC also has T6 at good prices...

I think I found a new oil for JButchs old turbo Subaru. Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is well known in the Subaru crowd but the only thing is that Shell will openly admit its not for gas engines and its bad for the cats. T6 5W40 produces great results on the Blackstone report.

Shell has now upped the ante with low saps API SN rated 0W40 version! So the JButch need not worry if the old Subaru going to lose a cat.

It's a 2015 FA20DIT, I wouldn't call that engine old,
lol.gif

I don't feel I need a 40 weight in that engine though, happy with the oils I'm using.

Like Virtus_Probi said, too much calcium... The Euro LX I'm using right now is already slightly high at 1700ppm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Why not consider a gas engine version rather than run down the boutique/exotic oil rabbit hole? Pennzoil Plat has one you can get at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil...BgyAFuwAMOVJkKlOh4vwEIgUM6hoC4YYQAvD_BwE

OP has about 40 threads on his 3.5 Ecoboost. Basically unless it's a solid 40 grade and stays there he doesn't want it. No rhyme or reason to that.

IKR, but what would this site be without people that:

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

Originally Posted by jbutch

lol.gif

I don't feel I need a 40 weight in that engine though, happy with the oils I'm using.
Like Virtus_Probi said, too much calcium... The Euro LX I'm using right now is already slightly high at 1700ppm.

Oops, thought you had a '14 like me...my engine has a model year and about 80000km on yours!
jbutch, do you know offhand if you got the redesigned CVT with the added filter? I know if was introduced in the course of the '15 MY production, I definitely do not have it and wish I did...my CVT was repaired under warranty at around 80kmiles after throwing codes and acting funny in reverse.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by jbutch

lol.gif

Oops, thought you had a '14 like me...my engine has a model year and about 80000km on yours!
jbutch, do you know offhand if you got the redesigned CVT with the added filter? I know if was introduced in the course of the '15 MY production, I definitely do not have it and wish I did...my CVT was repaired under warranty at around 80kmiles after throwing codes and acting funny in reverse.

I checked a while back and my FXT should have the CVT filter. That darn CVT is the only thing that scares me on that vehicle. I really like the forester though, especially in the 16 inches of fresh snow that fell yesterday.

It's not "boutique persay", but it's pretty rare or at least pricey to get in that weight, much like their 5W-30 and 0W-30 T6 variants. T6 5W-40 comes in gallon (4L) or 2.5 gallon jugs, not 5L that I've ever seen. They do have a rebate I assume. TSC also has T6 at good prices...

I buy 0W40 T6 from Orielys when it's on sale, $19.99/gal + rebate typically. Following month it will go back to 29.99 where it's typically priced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fraser434

I buy 0W40 T6 from Orielys when it's on sale, $19.99/gal + rebate typically. Following month it will go back to 29.99 where it's typically priced.

If you mean "O'Reilly's" we don't have those here, even though they advertise locally because they're in PA. I can get T6 0W-40 for $30 too I guess now. But the OP is in Canada, not sure what the rebates are on a gallon there for Rotella, but he can get a rebate on 5L/qts. of PP with more oil and less money...

But chasing around for the perfect oil/unicorn tears for a Lincoln in 15 threads is a tad deranged anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back