Shell Rotella T Synth 5W-40 [M1 T&SUV only in 5W30 now?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've switched over to Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. I'm told it's only a Group 3 that's been hydrocracked, but still hear very good results from people that use it in the same cars we run.

Luck had it that I changed oil in all three this weekend (And boy do I now have a lot of used oil to bring to the oil change place), and I'm using this oil in all of them.

'05 Audi V8 S4 Avant [12 qts]
'04 Honda Accord V6 [5 qts]
'88 Ford thunderbird turbocoupe [5 qts]

All of these cars get driven a lot, roughly 25k miles a year. We do a LOT of driving, so up till recently Mobil 1 T&SUV has been my favorite with 6-10k mile OCI's every 3-5 months. Wal-Mart has carried it in 5qt jugs for $20.88 up until recently, as I mentioned in a prior post.

The thunderbird gets it's oil changed a little more frequently at around 5k miles because it's turbo is fresh and I'd like it to last.

Well, this weekend when I went to get my Rotella T Synth, I noticed that they now carry T&SUV again. I snagged a cart and started hoarding the big jugs, then noticed something. It's now 5W-30 and it lost it's diesel ratings. Crap! It's not Delvac 1!

So a cart full of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 it ended up being. $13.88/gallon isn't bad.

Now I'm wondering what the story is. I heard that M1 T&SUV was being renamed. Well, perhaps not?

Has anyone used this 5W-30 and is it real 5W-30 or just relabeled 5W-40 Delvac 1?

T&SUV 5W-40 was perfect at 5qts/$20, the audi loved it and it's engine is one of the rare few S4 V8's that I know of which doesn't burn any oil since about 3k miles on the odometer. Everyone else burns 2 sometimes as much as 3 qts between oil changes, which is horrible! I had my last S4 for 100k miles and when I sold it, it didn't burn a drop so I think I've been doing something right on oil changes and selections.

Whatever the case may be, I'm hoping it gets straightened out in the next 3-5 months, as that's how long I've got before the next round.

This has been covered before. The old 5w-40 Truck and SUV has been discontinued. It had diesel ratings up to CI-4.

It has been replaced with two products. A new Truck and SUV in 5w-30 which is for gasoline engines, and is not rated CI-4, and a second product, "Turbo Diesel Truck" (TDT) that is rated CI-4+ and is 5w-40.

However, it remains to be seen if everyplace that stocked the old 5w-40 T&SUV will stock the new TDT. And the price remains to be seen as well.

I suspect the new T&SUV is not much different than any other Mobil 1 5w-30, and the new TDT will be even more of a clone of Delvac 1.

I think the Shell Rotella Syn is fine. I use it in a lot of different vehicles too.

The rollout on the TDT m1 is about a month later
than the 5w30 t&s. Be patient.

"So a cart full of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 it ended up being. $13.88/gallon isn't bad."
Go check your local Advance Auto. Local stores here are closing out gallon jugs of 5-40 RTS for 3.00 a gallon, and Rimula 15-40 for .31 a quart. Scored 5 gallons of RTS, and 40 quarts of Rimula a week ago. Good luck.

The only local store I can still find SRT 5w-40 synthetic is at the larger Wal-Mart. They still stock 1 qrt ($3.89) as well as 1 gal ($14.58) bottles. I picked up a couple quarts to use in the 6.5 HP air cooled engine this season.

Originally posted by beanoil:
[QB]
Go check your local Advance Auto. Local stores here are closing out gallon jugs of 5-40 RTS for 3.00 a gallon

Not my Advance auto :-(
I just went and they said, "5w40, you mean 15w40? I said, no 5w40 Rotella synthetic, they said no never heard of it, we don't carry it. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back