Shell Rotella synthetic (5w 40) in a 2008 jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dax

I saw the above oil at a very attractive price, but it is not on the list of 502.00 approved oils for use in my car-an 08 jetta. Also, Rotella is marketed towards diesel engine trucks. However, I'm reading everywhere that this oil will work fine in my car. I need some confirmation from some oil experts. Thanks in advance for any advice.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!!!!!

I would use it with confidence. SOPUS (Shell) makes darn good oils and the one you listed above is no exception.

thumbsup2.gif

Do you have this document? http://my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/volkswagen_technical_bulletin17-08-01engine_oils.pdf

Well,,,, I guess you do now. It's a VW TSB describing all the oils approved by them for various specs (502.00, 505.01, etc)

If RTS 5W-40 meets the VW spec, I don't see why you could not use it. Other oils like Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol Syntec 0W-30 would also work for you.

Also, Castrol Syntec 5W-40. From their website:

SAE 5W–40:
is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection for gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL–98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Thanks all for the welcome and thank you bretfraz for the post. I looked at that list this morning and it was precisely because Rotella is not on that list that I began wondering if I should use it anyway. So then ANY 5w 40 or Mobile's 0w 40 would be okay? If that is the case, then I just have to shop around for the best price regardless of whether or not the particular oil is on that VW list.

It has a strong Additive pack including alot of ZDDP. That may be one reason why it is not recommended.

For your warm/hot climate it might work very well.

**However, for warranty purposes you should stick with the proper oil.

Last edited:
It's too over laden with vitamins and minerals to jump through all the hoops the anal Euro's insist on.

"I'm a charging elephant, not an antelope!"

I'm a big fan of Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. It is just about the universal motor oil--good in any vehicle anywhere. But like ZZman says, I would not use it in your car as long as it's under warranty, as it does not meet VW's specs.

On the list or not, use it and give your engine the protection that RTS 5W-40 is known for. It's a very stout oil.

If doing the extended warranty drains, not a bad idea to do an oil change 1/2 between. I'd time it to use Rotella over summer and dealer oil over winter. Unless you have a turbo, no point in synth oil anyway. I'd just do it the way I said, but with dino 15w-40 HD in summer.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!!!!!

I would use it with confidence. SOPUS (Shell) makes darn good oils and the one you listed above is no exception.

thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't! Not under warranty. I'd only use the appropriate VW502 spec oils.

And the thread starter can get 0W-40 Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or even 0W-30 for a decent price at Autozone, Advance, or Pepboys when they have sales...

AZ has Mobil1 on sale this month....

WARRANTY----
Like the others said, use speccd oil while under warranty.

That being said---IMO, Rotella syn 5-40 is about as universal oil as there is. You can run it in pretty much anything. I run it in just about everything I have that doesn't have a warranty. I would put it on toast if it didn't void my warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back